©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-02 15:09:24

Brian

Combining OneDiff and Full Backups

I recently read your blog posting from 2-27-18 in which it is discussed combining Differential and Full Backups.  I would like to be able to combine those task myself.  So I have come up with a example of combining those two task and wanted to get confirmation that I am on the right track.

My proposed crontab file would contain the following commands

# Differential backup performed via OneDiff
/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup --time="Mon 17:30|Tue 17:30|Wed 17:30|Thu 17:30|Fri 17:30|Sat 17:30|Sun 17:30" --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/MacNFS/XSIBackupVMS --backup-how=hot --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="Windows 10 x64 Pro" --backup-prog=OneDiff --date-dir=no

# Full backups performed just Mon, Wed, Fri due to space limitations on backup target
/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup --time="Mon 22:30||Wed 22:30||Fri 22:30" --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/MacNFS/XSIBackupVMS --backup-how=hot --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="Windows 10 x64 Pro" --backup-prog=vmkfstools --date-dir=yes

Does this look correct?  If you have a better example, feel free to post it.

Thanks,
Brian

#2 2018-03-02 17:17:06

admin
Administrator

Re: Combining OneDiff and Full Backups

Yes, that should work, in any case (c) OneDiff algorithm version shipped with XSIBackup-Free lacks any kind of integrity check, so I would not use XSIBackup-Free's (c)OneDiff in a production environment, it's there for users to have the chance to try it, know what it is and what they can expect from it.

[https://33hops.com/xsibackup-trivial-check-and-checksums.html]Trivial check[/url] and backup certification are fundamental tools, as ESXi's snapshotting system is far from perfection.

Board footer