©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-21 18:06:19

Tzvia

From old free to licensed PRO-issue with GUI TARGET

Well I finally purchased PRO after using the old unlimited FREE version for years.  Thought I would try the GUI to create a backup job and am hung up selecting a backup location, TARGET.  The server is a Supermicro with local storage - the VMs are on local drives, and I have a 6tb drive in there that I have been doing backups to previously using the argument "--backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/Weekday_Backup/"$( date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S ) \", 'Weekday_Backup' being a datastore.  Now if I attempt to type in /vmfs/{full path}... to select that datastore, I get the error "Select some datastore, you are trying to copy data out of a datastore".  I am sure I am missing something obvious...

This was one of my old JOBs, in case it helps, that I am trying to duplicate the functionality of:

"/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup" \
--backup-prog=vmkfstools \
--backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/Weekend_Backup/BACKUPS/$( date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S ) \
--backup-room=100 \
--backup-type=Custom \
--backup-how=Hot \
--Backup-vms=Test\
--snapshot=doquiesce \
--remote-xsipath=/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir \
--backup-id=010 \
--description="vmkfstools backup of VMs" \
--exec=yes >> "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/var/logs/xsibackup.log" 2>&1

#2 2022-07-22 09:00:36

admin
Administrator

Re: From old free to licensed PRO-issue with GUI TARGET

Please, note that current (c)XSIBackup edition is new software and although it resembles the Classic version and follows the same working principles, it is indeed new software with different arguments and syntax. Nonetheless, if you are used to (c)XSIBackup-Classic, getting adapted to new (c)XSIBackup will be fairly simple.

(c)XSIBackup Manual

You should remove any older version of our software and any previously configured cron entries to avoid conflicts, i.e. running multiple jobs at the same time.

You are receiving that message because you are trying to set some target outside /vmfs/volumes/ which is the root all local datastores should stem from. Select a dir by using the space bar and list contents inside of it by appending a slash "/"

#3 2022-09-02 19:40:37

ma2white

I'm having the same problem as Tzvia with the latest PRO version: no matter which datastore / path within /vmfs/volumes I choose I'm getting the error "Select some datastore, you are trying to copy data out of a datastore". Can somebody please point me to the obvious? Cheers

#4 2022-09-05 12:06:40

admin
Administrator

We believe you are having trouble understanding how the Dialog nCurses GUI works. Use the space bar to select a dir and the slash "/" to list the contents in a dir, then the space bar again to select a directory.

The GUI will help you to increase your productivity building jobs, nonetheless you should understand the command line and try your jobs there. Appending the --save-job=NNN argument at the end of the job will save it formatted to the etc/jobs folder.

#5 2022-09-11 10:23:24

nmatija

I am having the same problem. I enter the path correctly in GUI  /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/ and it gives the error: Select some datastore...

I think it is a bug, and it started happening when i made an error choosing the correct target path (i entered a non existant folder by mistake).
I can make a backup job through command line just fine, but i can't create backup jobs through GUI anymore.
I can give you remote access to try if you like.

p.s. i made about 50 jobs through GUI before so i am quite familiar how it works.

Last edited by nmatija (2022-09-11 10:24:36)

#6 2022-09-14 10:05:17

admin
Administrator

It is not a bug. Note that you are trying to convert the root of a volume into an (c)XSIBackup repository. Please, just add some folder below the data store, something like: /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/my-repo

We will still revise this behaviour in the GUI before our next release.

#7 2023-02-05 20:53:14

mikeg

Sure acts like a bug to me also. I have the same problem using an install created with XSIBackup-Free_1-6-0-4.zip on ESXi 6.7 free. I configured many jobs to the same datastore folder using the gui in a previous version with no problems. Also I ran the job from the command line with the --job-save argument as explained above using the same target path and it saved the job fine and then the job ran fine. The path was exactly the same as the one I was trying to choose in the gui which wasn't working and returning "Select some datastore, you are trying to copy data out of a datastore".

#8 2023-02-07 11:32:31

admin
Administrator

Please download 1.6.0.6 which is already available, we have fixed this bug in the latest release.

#9 2023-02-07 13:52:32

mikeg

Thanks. Will do.

Board footer