©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-28 06:29:49

underdpt

Add some email content flexibility

Hello,

We have a custom log monitoring tool that processes the emails from our customer's backup solutions. It's a simple solution that can be configured to scan the subject or the body of the email, searching for some words, mainly 'success' to mark a backup as good or 'failure' or 'error' to mark a backup as bad.

We cannot use this solution with XSIBackup emails. We cannot add the state of the backup to the subject, and the body contains a error count for each VM, which is hard to process as the body cannot be modified to add some tags.

I would suggest to add some placeholders to the subject and body that you can add when neccesary, for example:

%RESULT%: 'success' if no error found, 'failed' if any error was found
%VMS%: comma separated list of VMs for the backup
%STARTDATE%
%ENDDATE%
%TOTALTIME%
%ACTION%
%XSIVERSION%
%ESXIVERSION%
%HOSTNAME%

I would also suggest adding one more column to the table with the individual result for each backup, so you can see ...Speed - Compress - Errors - Result (success or failed)

Regards,

#2 2021-07-28 10:19:31

admin
Administrator

Re: Add some email content flexibility

We will add new features in this direction in future releases. You can nonetheless design your own e-mail templates.

https://33hops.com/xsibackup-dc-full-ma … il-reports

#3 2021-07-30 07:22:03

underdpt

Yeah, I know that, but that doesn't include accessing backup data to present it on a custom format, you only have one placeholder for the full backup data, or am I missing something?

#4 2021-07-30 14:57:33

admin
Administrator

As said we will improve the flexibility of the e-mail report, still, you should not rely on e-mail to perform that kind of logging.

You have the var/log/backupdb.log file where all those variables are logged into a single line, it's easy to take them from there using bash or Python and put them anywhere: Syslog, DB, etc...

Board footer