©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-09 11:10:50

MaddinK

--backup-type=custom --backup-vms="VM-Name" is not working as expecte

Sorry but I am really stuck, because I cannot find my fault...

I cannot backup 1 or 2 VMs when I append a email to be send.
Here the result:

[root@esxi:/vmfs/volumes/56e4e6a0-ae62921e-817c-0cc47ab3e5ee/xsi-dir] ./xsibackup --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/esxi-backup --backup-type=custom -–backup-vms="Xubuntu" --date-dir=yes --mail-from=xsibackup@domain.local --mail-to=admin@domain.local --smtp-srv=192.168.0.17 --smtp-port=25 --smtp-auth=none

#####################################################################################
#                                                                                   #
#  (c) XSIBACKUP-FREE 9.0.2 | Backup for (c) VMWARE ESXi Hypervisor by 33hops.com   #
#                                                                                   #
#####################################################################################

XSIBackup PID: 783738                                           esxi.domain.local
Fri, 09 Jun 2017 10:53:30 +0000                     IPv4: 192.168.0.21/255.255.255.0
VMware ESXi 6.0.0 build-3380124                   (c) Rsync 3.1.0 as opt. dependency

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found --backup-point at [ /vmfs/volumes/esxi-backup ]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting list of all VMs...
1      napp-it                       [datastore1] napp-it/napp-it.vmx                                               solaris11_64Guest       vmx-11    OmniOS 151014 with L2ARC bug fixed
13     EXASolo-5.0.15                [datastore1] EXASolo-5.0.15/EXASolo-5.0.15.vmx                                 rhel6_64Guest           vmx-11    rhel6.5.0
14     Xubuntu                       [datastore1] Xubuntu/Xubuntu.vmx                                               ubuntu64Guest           vmx-11
17     filer.domain.local           [Pool6TBDisks-NFS4ESXI] filer.domain.local/filer.domain.local.vmx            windows8Server64Guest   vmx-11
18     Win10-Test                    [Pool6TBDisks-NFS4ESXI] Win10-Test/Win10-Test.vmx                              windows9_64Guest        vmx-11
19     pfSense-CE                    [datastore1] pfSense-CE/pfSense-CE.vmx                                         freebsd64Guest          vmx-08    pfSense VM
20     HPE_VerticaAnalyticPlatform   [datastore1] HPE Vertica Analytic Platform/HPE Vertica Analytic Platform.vmx   centos64Guest           vmx-08
21     thinc                         [Pool6TBDisks-NFS4ESXI] thinc/thinc.vmx                                        otherLinuxGuest         vmx-11
6      2012-SQL                      [datastore1] 2012-SQL/2012-SQL.vmx                                             windows8Server64Guest   vmx-11
7      2012-Mgmt                     [datastore1] 2012-Mgmt/2012-Mgmt.vmx                                           windows8Server64Guest   vmx-11
VMs to backup:
1      napp-it                       [datastore1] napp-it/napp-it.vmx                                               solaris11_64Guest       vmx-11    OmniOS 151014 with L2ARC bug fixed
13     EXASolo-5.0.15                [datastore1] EXASolo-5.0.15/EXASolo-5.0.15.vmx                                 rhel6_64Guest           vmx-11    rhel6.5.0
14     Xubuntu                       [datastore1] Xubuntu/Xubuntu.vmx                                               ubuntu64Guest           vmx-11
17     filer.domain.local           [Pool6TBDisks-NFS4ESXI] filer.domain.local/filer.domain.local.vmx            windows8Server64Guest   vmx-11
18     Win10-Test                    [Pool6TBDisks-NFS4ESXI] Win10-Test/Win10-Test.vmx                              windows9_64Guest        vmx-11
19     pfSense-CE                    [datastore1] pfSense-CE/pfSense-CE.vmx                                         freebsd64Guest          vmx-08    pfSense VM
20     HPE_VerticaAnalyticPlatform   [datastore1] HPE Vertica Analytic Platform/HPE Vertica Analytic Platform.vmx   centos64Guest           vmx-08
21     thinc                         [Pool6TBDisks-NFS4ESXI] thinc/thinc.vmx                                        otherLinuxGuest         vmx-11
6      2012-SQL                      [datastore1] 2012-SQL/2012-SQL.vmx                                             windows8Server64Guest   vmx-11
7      2012-Mgmt                     [datastore1] 2012-Mgmt/2012-Mgmt.vmx                                           windows8Server64Guest   vmx-11
Needed room: 2836 Gb.
Available room: 4180 Gb.
I type: Ctrl-C

Shutting down...
Killed

Without Email option all is working:
[root@esxi:/vmfs/volumes/56e4e6a0-ae62921e-817c-0cc47ab3e5ee/xsi-dir] ./xsibackup --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/esxi-backup/ --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="Xubuntu" --date-dir=yes

#  (c) XSIBACKUP-FREE 9.0.2 | Backup for (c) VMWARE ESXi Hypervisor by 33hops.com   #

XSIBackup PID: 789141                                           esxi.domain.local
Fri, 09 Jun 2017 11:06:02 +0000                     IPv4: 192.168.0.21/255.255.255.0
VMware ESXi 6.0.0 build-3380124                   (c) Rsync 3.1.0 as opt. dependency

Found --backup-point at [ /vmfs/volumes/esxi-backup/ ]
E-mail Warnings
The e-mail report will not be sent because of the followig reasons:
The --mail-from string has not been set
The --mail-to string has not been set
The --smtp-srv string has not been set
The --smtp-port string has not been set
The --smtp-usr string has not been set, you need --smtp-usr if --smtp-auth is other than -none-
The --smtp-pwd string has not been set, you need --smtp-pwd if --smtp-auth is other than -none-
Getting list of all VMs...
17     filer.domain.local           [Pool6TBDisks-NFS4ESXI] filer.domain.local/filer.domain.local.vmx               windows8Server64Guest   vmx-11
VMs to backup:
Needed room: 78 Gb.
Available room: 4180 Gb.

#2 2017-06-10 14:46:20

Daniel

Re: --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="VM-Name" is not working as expecte

We are willing to help you, but you haven't posted any relevant information. If I understood you well, you can't send the e-mail report, but I don't see any SMTP output, not even the intent to connect to an SMTP server.

I don't see any --smtp-usr argument, that's all that I can say based on the information that you provided.

#3 2017-06-11 20:14:23

MaddinK

Thank you for your answer.

>you can't send the e-mail report,
No you misunderstand me, I can send emails...

The problem is, that I cannot backup just 1 VM when I append the email option, it starts to backup ALL VMs (as you can see in my logs).
But without email to be send, I can backup just the 1 VM I want to backup.

The Shell command:
./xsibackup --backup-point=/... --backup-type=custom -–backup-vms="Xubuntu" --date-dir=yes --mail-.....
will backup _ALL_ VMs existing on the ESX and then sends the email:
But
./xsibackup --backup-point=/... --backup-type=custom -–backup-vms="Xubuntu" --date-dir=yes
Works as expected and will backup just the VM "Xubuntu" VMs existing on the ESX.

But I really want both!!
First Emails AND second the ability to select VMs to be backed up (not always all).

Now more clear??
Thank you very much for your time!!

#4 2017-06-12 19:56:15

Daniel

Nobody ever reported such behaviour and we have not been able to reproduce it so far.
The only way to backup all VMs is by parsing the argument --backup-type=all.
It is impossible that

--backup-type=custom --backup-vms="Xubuntu"

backs up ALL VMs, unless you have edited the code.

Board footer