©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-19 02:19:35

clicream

ssh client closed during backup

My laptop left during backup suddenly reboots and it was during backup over IP. How do I know if it still running and can I resume session?

Email test did not work because of security settings on antispam.

#2 2018-04-19 09:32:23

admin
Administrator

Re: ssh client closed during backup

Well, there are some tangled up matters here.

If you talk about a laptop, it's role could only be as an SSH connected device. You were probably running Putty or some other SSH client, is that O.K. (we have to guess). So, if it restarted, it does not matter much, the backup job still continued in the ESXi server, but the output went nowhere.

To see what happened you should reconnect to the ESXi host, but trying to reconnect to the TTY that was holding the session might not be feasible, the apparent structure of TTY files is similar to Linux servers ls -la /dev/tty*, and you even have the stty binary aboard, but it just does not accept common commands as stty < /dev/tty/0

stty < /dev/tty/0
-sh: can't open /dev/tty/0: no such file

So your best bet is to check the VM backups themselves, by per instance checking the last modified file after switching them on. XSIBackup does not log the onscreen output when used as a user program. You should only use it onscreen for testing purposes and then schedule through the crontab (xsibackup-cron).

In regards to the E-mail report, you should be able to fix that easily, you are using XSIBackup with your feet tied up and one hand in your back.

Board footer