©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 10:14:43

mbu10

scheduling and email

so this is my back up script
./xsibackup --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/primary/backups --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="gavtestwin10" --mail-from=relay@service.net --mail-to=martin.underdown@safety.com --smtp-srv=10.0.200.40:25 --smtp-port=25 --smtp-usr="none" --smtp-pwd="none"

Firstly (the smtp server just relays internally and work for all the printers set to it) but nothing is even shown on the smtp server(yes the esx server can talk to the smtp relay server

secondly would love to run this task just once a month using the xsibackup cron tool
but have no idea how to make it run once a month
can someone point me in the right direction please
as not sure where the job needs to be put to make this run
thanks
martin

#2 2018-03-08 12:32:31

mbu10

Re: scheduling and email

so i figured out i can add a date switch and the delete switch to delete anything older than x day
all good
have pasted this line into the xsibackup-cron file but it does not run
have check to make sure everything is running , cron etc and all seems fine
runs fine when i just paste it in putty but does not run when in the cron file for xsi
this is what i have chnaged it to
any one can see what is wrong

/vmfs/volumes/5a3787d3-5cf19bfe-095a-0024817e5a65/xsi-dir/xsibackup --time="Thu 12:20" --del-dirs=-d5time --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/primary/backups --backup-type=custom --date-dir=yes --backup-vms="gavtestwin10" --mail-from=relay@service.net --mail-to=martin.underdown@safety.com --smtp-srv=10.0.200.40:25 --smtp-port=25 --smtp-usr="none" --smtp-pwd="none"

#3 2018-03-08 15:31:22

admin
Administrator

In regards to your 1st question, what do you mean by "but nothing is even shown on the smtp server"?. If you don't detect a connection to your SMTP server, then you are not even reaching it, so you should check your firewall/s: ESXi and anything else in between. XSIBackup opens required port automatically in ESXi, so you should check everything else. Unless you wanted to say something different, you have a connectivity issue, not related to XSIBackup.

Have you installed the cron?.
If you did but still don't get it to run, read this post: https://33hops.com/xsibackup-cron-how-to.html

--del-dirs is an option exclusive to XSIBACKUP-PRO, as stated in the Man Page, so it will just show a notice in XSIBACKUP-FREE. In any case, even if you had the Pro version, this argument (--del-dirs=-d5time) would never work, as it does not follow the syntax explained in the manual.

#4 2018-03-08 15:43:58

mbu10

i am purchasing the pro version in the next couple of hours
i saw the date at the end of the del-dir (typo)
it has just started working going to install the pro version shortly and hope it keeps going
thanks
martin

Board footer