©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-29 14:23:43

rob@24365.ca

XsiBackup can no longer find the vm to backup? Error code 2674 at file

Hello all....

I am getting the below error now when trying to do a replica backup:

Error code 2674 at file xsibackup.c, line 2674 | Error description: could not find any VM in list: ad-1.DOMAIN.com, please check that the VM files exist

I am running Version 1.5.0.0

Some background in case it's relevant.

Running esxi 6.7 Update3

1) After some patches/updates and a reboot couple weeks ago, I had an issue where some vms did not come back after the reboot. They showed up as a number rather than the vm name, so i unregistered them and copied back over the backups that Xsibackup did from my backup server.

After I copied over the vms, i started them, esxi asked if i copied or moved them, i choose copy. Then they started and have been working fine since then.

2) The company that recently acquired us, yesterday asked me for the root credentials to allow them to add my 2 vmware serves to their Venter. So now my 2 vmware servers are in their Vcenter server.

Now today when I logged into Vsphere client, I noticed that my vms are now named "Server (1)" rather than "Server" and one of my datastores are now named "Datastore (1)" rather than Datastore1

Now when i run the below command i get the above error:

/vmfs/volumes/5cefd725-cb378ab4-7f8e-ac1f6b77c966/XSI/XSIBackup-DC/xsibackup --replica "VMs(ad-1.DOMAIN.com)" root@zion:22:/data/images/VMware_SnapShots

I removed the 7 other machines from the above command line for simplicity.

The edited output of this command is as follows:

System Information: ESXi, Kernel 6 Major 7 Minor 0 Patch 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
License: 000906E90000000000000000ac1f6b77c966 | (c)XSIBackup-DC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remote system: Linux
PID: 2649503, Running job as: root
Remote xsibackup binary found at: /bin/xsibackup
2022-11-29T14:11:07 | Error code 2674 at file xsibackup.c, line 2674 | Error description: could not find any VM in list: ad-1.DOMAIN.com, please check that the VM files exist
Removed host <tmp> dir        OK
Removed prog <tmp> dir        OK
Unlocked backup               OK
SSH session was closed        OK

I am no Vmware guru, so looking for some suggestions here?

Thanks and have a great day!

#2 2022-11-29 18:43:12

rob@24365.ca

Re: XsiBackup can no longer find the vm to backup? Error code 2674 at file

Ok, So i figured it out. When this "guy" added my 2 hosts. vmware-1 and vmware-2 to Vcenter, each vmware had a vm named the same.

As one of my cronjobs is to transfer a vm from what I call primary prod server(vmware-2) to the secondary(vmware-1) via the below command.

/vmfs/volumes/5cefd725-cb378ab4-7f8e-ac1f6b77c966/XSI/XSIBackup-DC/xsibackup --replica "VMs(ad-1.DOMAIN.com)" root@vmware-1:22:/vmfs/volumes/618b7c5c-90e5f804-edce-cc483a0a5cf8

So each server has vms named the same. I never thought of this as being an issue as I never used Vcenter.

So if i rename ad-1.DOMAIN.com on vmware-1(secondary) to ad-1.DOMAIN.com-backup and then go on vmware-2 and rename ad-1.DOMAIN.com (1) to ad-1.DOMAIN.com and then run the backup it works fine!

So since I am stuck with having these machines a member of Vcenter can i rename these vms when transferring from vmware-2 to vmware-1 to something other than the original name in the command line ?

Anyone confused yet?
smile

Thanks and to everyone a great day!

#3 2022-11-30 21:19:23

admin
Administrator

Re: XsiBackup can no longer find the vm to backup? Error code 2674 at file

Thank you for your post. By what I could understand from your explanation, it looks more an organizational matter than a real software issue.

Naming is not a trivial matter and when it comes to coalesce two previously independent infrastructures, you do need to pay a lot of attention to what you are doing, as (c)ESXi will just apply the default naming workaround (index in between parenthesis) and it will just not care if you mess something up.

VMs are uniquely identified by an integer index. Nonetheless when we designed (c)XSIBackup we did so picking VMs up by name, for obvious reasons. This implies that although (c)ESXi will allow you to duplicate names, if you do so and you use (c)XSIBackup on the duplicate name you will backup 2 VMs.

It is fundamental that your naming scheme does not add additional uncertainties on top of the already difficult task of managing a VM infrastructure.

Board footer