©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-28 21:08:22

herrep

XSIBackup-DC 1.5.1.4: Handling of independent disks in _XSIREP VMs

Hi,

When replicating a VM using XSIBackup-DC options --replica=cbt --options=R and having an independent disk, the indepedent disk will be excluded from replication and therefore also not form part of the registered _XSIREP VM.

However, I realized that the vmx file in the replicated _XSIREP VM does not contain the full path of the independent disk, contrary to the full path of the independent disk defined in the vmx file of the original VM.

Is there a specific reason for doing so? I expect issues when restoring this VM from the _XSIREP version, as the path to the independent disk has got lost. With the present setup, I assume that I cannot even start the _XSIREP VM, as the location of the independent disk cannot be found. Is my assumption correct that such a _XSIREP VM canniot be started? At present, I am a bit scared to simply start the _XSIREP VM because its reference to an independent disk which is still in use by the original VM.

I wonder whether it would be dangerous to keep the original path in the replicated _XSIREP VM. Just imagine the case that the original VM is pointing to the independent disk and also, at the same time, the _XSIREP VM. My setup does NOT involve multi-writer mode for the independent disk, as a database is stored on the independent disk and parallel access from two different states of the same server would destroy data consistency.

What is the recommended way of handling such an independent disk in a _XSIREP VM?

Best regards,
Peter

#2 2021-12-07 12:11:11

admin
Administrator

Re: XSIBackup-DC 1.5.1.4: Handling of independent disks in _XSIREP VMs

Independent disks can't be backed up. (c)XSIBackup does exclude them from the .vmx file.
For every reason that you find to keep the independent disk in the .vmx file we will find three not to do it.
Nonetheless, as you state, it's very easy to just add it again should you need to do so.

Board footer