©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-04 22:43:03

PJR

Backing up to Synology NAS (rsync)

Hi

This looks like an excellent backup product for ESXi 6.5.0. 

I am currently testing the product to make sure it works as expected before purchasing the PRO version and putting the system into a live environment.

I am attempting to backup to a Synology NAS via rsync.  Biggest issue is that it is not possible to log into a Synology NAS as root.  I have set up an admin user "VMWare"; the problem is that I cannot get the file authorized_keys created on the Synology.  I have amended xsibackup to login as VMWare, but the backup is still requesting a password for both VMWare and root.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks in advance

Peter

#2 2017-11-05 16:09:47

admin
Administrator

Re: Backing up to Synology NAS (rsync)

Backing up to a Synology NAS via IP can be cumbersome, mainly due to the security design of DSM OS. It is imperative to have root access rights to manage SSL keys.

Solutions:

1 - There's always been a way to enable login as root via SSH in Synology NAS devices anyway, you could try this approach too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRfW_YKKZFg

In general, systems that prevent root login, namely, obly you to login as a different user and then sudo, do so by removing the root user from the wheel group at /etc/passwd. To reenable root access via IP you could try to add root user to this built-in group. There might be other tweaks that keep root from login.

https://superuser.com/questions/1057853 … with-admin

2 - Happily there's a really easy workaround, which is to use the Synology NAS as an NFS or iSCSI datastore and then backup to the local datastore attached as a network device. Once you have your data in the Synology NAS device, you can easily use backup programs like Hyperbackup to copy data offsite to the cloud, to another Synology device or to any other place. It's easy to take data out of the Synology NAS, not so easy to bring it in, unless you use the pre-stablished mechanisms.

3 - Another workaround is to install a small Linux VM stored in the Synology NAS as a datastore, and then use this totally open Linux system to backup to, or even better, backup to another ESXi, that way your backups are ready to be switched on in case of disaster.

#3 2017-11-05 22:03:18

PJR

Re: Backing up to Synology NAS (rsync)

Brilliant, thank you!

I could not get iSCSI to work properly, but I did get NFS working (eventually), and backup is now working.

I will now check out the automatic backups for a few days.

Many thanks for your quick and very helpful response.

Peter

Board footer