©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-26 10:43:24

xvilaro

Replica XSIBackup-DC versions

I want to create a replica of the virtual machine with different versions. With the program before the DC, I could put the parameter --datedir = yes, it would create the copy folder with the data and I could save several versions limiting the copy space with --backup-room = 400.

How can I do it with the new program?

#2 2021-03-01 16:31:33

admin
Administrator

Re: Replica XSIBackup-DC versions

./xsibackup --backup "VMs(MYVM)" /vmfs/volumes/backup/myrepo --rotate=10

To keep ten restore points.

(c)XSIBackup-DC full man page

#3 2021-03-02 11:32:24

xvilaro

Thank you very much for your answer.

I had already made several versions of backups, but had not seen it. I understand that the snapshot.vmsn are the versions, how can I now recover a previous copy?

PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot1.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot2.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot3.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot4.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot5.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot6.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot7.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot8.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-flat.vmdk
PDC-BONDITEX.nvram
PDC-BONDITEX.vmdk
PDC-BONDITEX.vmsd
PDC-BONDITEX.vmsd.tmp
PDC-BONDITEX.vmx
PDC-BONDITEX.vmx.tmp
PDC-BONDITEX.vmxf
PDC-BONDITEX.vmx~
vmware-1.log
vmware-2.log
vmware-3.log
vmware-4.log
vmware-5.log
vmware-6.log
vmware-7.log
vmware-8.log
vmware.log
 ./xsibackup --restore /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/backup/PDC-BONDITEX/PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot2.vmsn /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/restore/

2021-03-02T08:03:20 | Error code 382 at file restore.c, line 382 | Error description: can't find the .xsitools file:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Removed host <tmp> dir        OK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Removed prog <tmp> dir        OK

Thanks

#4 2021-03-02 14:32:24

admin
Administrator

Why are you pointing the restore source to a .vmsn file?.
"I understand that the snapshot.vmsn are the versions"

You just left us speechless...

You must point it to the VM you want to restore under a repository, always under a timestamped folder, something like:

./xsibackup --restore /vmfs/volumes/backup/20210214140301/PDC-BONDITEX /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/restore/

You don't place backups in the same datastore where you are hosting the VMs

Replicas are just replicas, you don't need to restore them, they are ready to use copies. You can make a series of replicas to be used as full backups if you will. Although that is not a very practical method of doing things, as you are copying all the data everytime:

./xsibackup --replica "VMs(PDC-BONDITEX)" /vmfs/volumes/backup/replicas/PDC-BONDITEX/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)

But above all, please, read the manual and then place concrete questions:
(c)XSIBackup-DC full man page

Guessing is not the best way to achieve good results.

#5 2021-03-09 13:03:20

xvilaro

Thank you for your answers

The copies already work correctly and the folders are generated with the dates of when they are made but I cannot automatically delete the previous versions.

I have tried it with the --rotate but as we can see it does not detect it

--rotate option was detected, retrieving backups to prune...
ROTATION: set to 5 backup cycles
No backups to prune as per rotation number, 1 backups found

these are the saved versions of copies

20210303083353  20210303130746  20210303154603  20210304141231
20210303091752  20210303140104  20210304112020  20210308142448

Could it be that I am missing something?

Thanks a lot

#6 2021-03-09 14:43:21

admin
Administrator

As we stated in some previous response, you "can" use (c)XSIBackup-DC to produce backups that way. Nonetheless that is not the intended usage of the program and rotating doesn't work with custom solutions like this.

Nonetheless, it is extremely easy to delete folders older than some amount of time following a given pattern by using the find command.

UPDATE:

We probably misunderstood you, so here it goes an answer closer to what we believe you were looking for.
If you use something like the Julian date (%j) and calculate its MOD operator $(date %j) % N, you will be creating a rotating pattern which will repeat itself after N iterations (5 in the below example), thus you will copy each VM fully on each initial iteration and just make it differential on the repeating runs.

You can also optionally use the [=cbt] flag to make the replicas be much faster.

This way you keep a set of ready to use restore points.

/scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-DC/xsibackup \
--replica[=cbt] \
"VMs(VM1,VM2, VM3...)" \
/vmfs/volumes/backup/replica/$(( $(date +%j) % 5 )) \
--use-smtp="1" \
--mail-to=mail-from \
>> /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-DC/var/log/xsibackup.log 2>&1

#7 2021-06-11 03:15:43

Mathieu

xvilaro wrote:

[...]I had already made several versions of backups, but had not seen it. I understand that the snapshot.vmsn are the versions[...]

PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot1.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot2.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot3.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot4.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot5.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot6.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot7.vmsn
PDC-BONDITEX-Snapshot8.vmsn

Thanks

I would like to rebound on the existence of these vmsn files in the replica folder.

I've noticed these files are created in the VM directory when a snapshot of a VM is created. They are then automatically removed from the VM directory when the snapshot is removed.

I was wondering why (c)XSIBackup-DC copies the VM-SnapshotXXX.vmsn files in the replica directory (and keeps the previous ones) each time the VM is replicated. Are these VM-SnapshotXXX.vmsn files of any use for us ?

Same question with the VM-vss_manifestsXXX.zip files which accumulate in the replica folder when we ask (c)XSIBackup-DC to quiesce the VM before taking the snapshot.

#8 2021-06-11 15:29:16

admin
Administrator

They are just kept there to know about the history of events. They are useless from a recovery point of view.
You can manually remove them, should you ever use the replica in production.

#9 2021-06-21 20:55:04

it2.at

i asume the number of copies of the VM-SnapshotXXX.vmsn files and VM-vss_manifestsXXX.zip files which accumulate in the replica folder, should be monitored and cleaned up from time to time. because of the maximum number of files VMFS can manage in one folder.

#10 2021-06-22 09:33:49

admin
Administrator

We will dedicate some development time to this in the following days. We are finishing to test new features that will allow you to rotate multiple replicas, as some users prefer to keep ready to use copies even though it may take more time to complete the backups. Nonetheless since we added the multitenant CBT feature, this technique has emerged as some much more feasible way to keep ready to use copies, just as long as you have the necessary space to host them.

#11 2021-07-13 10:59:20

michib

admin wrote:

We will dedicate some development time to this in the following days. We are finishing to test new features that will allow you to rotate multiple replicas, as some users prefer to keep ready to use copies even though it may take more time to complete the backups. Nonetheless since we added the multitenant CBT feature, this technique has emerged as some much more feasible way to keep ready to use copies, just as long as you have the necessary space to host them.

Hi,

I'd like to support this. We also would appreciate to have the ability to make xsibackup-DC work in replica mode in a similar manner to the xsibackup-pro we're still using on other nodes. I understand this is not the way DC was enginnered but it could help to start using it while migrating disaster recovery tools & batches on our NAS that were written to work on replica timestamped dirs.

I indeed tried running replica with --timestamp without datetime parameter but it complains (only raising verbosity..) about the missing datetime. Just fixing this could be really appreciated.

regards,
Michele

#12 2021-07-13 11:10:29

admin
Administrator

We are just finishing this improvements. We will release 1.5.0.11 in short which will allow rotating replica folders with rotate based on number of folders, days or a predefined user limit by size.

In any case the most advanced case for this type of utilization is already available and explained in the above example

--replica[=cbt] \
"VMs(VM1,VM2, VM3...)" \
--use-smtp="1" \
--mail-to=mail-from \

Rotating on a fixed number of folders using the Julian day modulus approach allows to use CBT and thus have instant replicas to multiple folders.

#13 2021-07-13 17:13:52

admin
Administrator

We really didn't get you on this:

I indeed tried running replica with --timestamp without datetime parameter but it complains (only raising verbosity..) about the missing datetime. Just fixing this could be really appreciated.

#14 2021-07-13 19:59:29

michib

admin wrote:

We really didn't get you on this:

As I was saying in my previous post I was trying to replicate xsibackup-pro behaviour: i.e. creating timestamped dirs with exact VM replicas ready to run.

So at first I launched with option --timestamp without any = date part 'cause I read in the manual that xsibackup-dc would have put it to 'now' at runtime. I also used --rotate=3. No timestamped dir was created and no error was raised if my memory is not wrong. Simply I had a directory named after the VM name. Then I put --verbosity=5 and it logged something like 'timestamp is missing parameter'...

Don't know if I answered your 'question'.

regards,
Michele

#15 2021-07-14 10:28:35

admin
Administrator

Option --timestamp does not exist in (c)XSIBackup-DC
You can produce the same result by using something like the job below.

./xsibackup --replica "VMs(VM1,VM2)" "root@11.2.3.4:22:/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/replicas/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)

That will produce new replicas, each one of them in its own timestamped folder. From version 1.5.0.11 you will be able to rotate such structure of folders, still that method is rudimentary, as it implies copying all data every time.

It is indeed far less advanced than the previously proposed with a fixed number of folders set in the very same job design. If you use the code below, you don't need rotating and on top of that all replicas will be differential from the second pass

--replica[=cbt] \
"VMs(VM1,VM2, VM3...)" \
--use-smtp="1" \
--mail-to=mail-from \

#16 2021-07-14 15:13:39

michib

admin wrote:

Option --timestamp does not exist in (c)XSIBackup-DC
You can produce the same result by using something like the job below.

I'm a bit confused then... Is this outdated? https://33hops.com/xsibackup-dc-full-ma … #timestamp

regards,

#17 2021-07-15 09:28:10

admin
Administrator

Ops! sorry, yes it does exist indeed, still its purpose is not to create timestamped folders for replicas, but to group backups into a single folder.

To create timestamped folders or rotate backups, please use the exposed techniques.

#18 2021-07-21 15:37:44

zarthan

I have been following this because I am looking for the same functionality as the earlier version where I could do a simple backup of the complete VM in date isolated folders. I am not interested in deduplicated anything. I just want a complete VM that can be turned on in the event of a failure. I don't want any form of "recovery". I just want to register the VM and turn it on. I think that is what the OP wanted as well. Some of the things that have been indicated here have led me to believe that that may be possible with 1.5.0.11 which I have seen show up on the website but that appears to have disappeared, only showing 1.5.0.10. Clicking another link on the website does now show 1.5.0.11, so you have links pointing to old pages mixed in with links pointing to new pages.
Also, I would like clarification on the following.

admin wrote:

all replicas will be differential from the second pass

This seems to indicate that a simple replica is not like I and I am sure others, would like to see a replica, a standalone dated folder with a complete operational VM. Could you please clarify.

Last edited by zarthan (2021-07-21 15:41:13)

#19 2021-07-21 16:48:37

zarthan

https://33hops.com/xsibackup-vmware-esxi-backup.html shows 1.5.0.10 even when I access the page on another computer that has never accessed the site. But that same URL shows 1.5.0.11 when coming from other links. I have had the same issue with other pages. Under "Resources & help" on the main menu sometimes shows Index of docs as well as forums but from other links only shows Forums. Page refreshes or deleting site data does no clear things up.

#20 2021-07-22 10:50:04

admin
Administrator

Caching issues should be resolved by now.

Please, do not asume that (c)XSIBackup-DC will behave the same way as (c)XSIBackup-Classic, it's different software, you can't interexchange commands and arguments, not even concepts between them.

DC is a far more advanced piece of software than Classic versions, please read the manual to learn how DC works. It's conceptuelly close to Classic versions, still the arguments and flags are different as well as its behaviour.

#21 2021-07-22 12:16:10

zarthan

I understand the two pieces of software are different. I was asking for clarification. I have read the somewhat confusing manual.
There are people that want the instantly available copy of a VM. It may not be the best backup, but it is perfect for the dozens of small Linux servers that I have. They may have a bunch of changes throughout the day but are unchanged during the night. I don't need long-term data recovery points, because the data is collected separately. I need an oops copy and I want one from last night, and for the previous two days back. I take a weekend copy of some that I want some historical record. These servers are small and perform a dedicated task. Each of them takes 6 or 7 minutes to back up, they don't take much room. The 3-day backup rotation is convenient as hell. The deduplicated backups or differential replicas, overly complicate a very simple need.  Your software obviously knows how to make a copy of the VM. Add some settings that provides the simple functionality that was available in the Clasic version. A simple point in time copy of a VM.

#22 2021-07-22 15:07:33

admin
Administrator

We have just covered that in detail in v. 1.5.0.11 and in our post:

Extended rotation features

In any case, the perfect solution to your requirement has always been possible and is indeed commented in this very same thread.

--replica[=cbt] \
"VMs(VM1,VM2, VM3...)" \
/vmfs/volumes/backup/replica/$(( $(date +%j) % N )) \
--use-smtp="1" \
--mail-to=mail-from \

The mod operator of the Julian date $(( $(date +%j) % N )) will generate a rotating pattern 0 to N-1
If there's something that you don't get about it, please let us know what it is.

#23 2021-07-22 15:16:48

zarthan

This is why I wanted clarification on the statement "all replicas will be differential from the second pass". That seems to indicate there is something other than a straight copy of the VM. Other than in this thread, where is that documented and how would someone use that from the GUI. I prefer doing things without the GUI, but I know someone that does use it from the GUI

#24 2021-07-22 19:27:10

zarthan

admin wrote:

In any case, the perfect solution to your requirement has always been possible and is indeed commented in this very same thread.

--replica[=cbt] \
"VMs(VM1,VM2, VM3...)" \
/vmfs/volumes/backup/replica/$(( $(date +%j) % N )) \
--use-smtp="1" \
--mail-to=mail-from \

The mod operator of the Julian date $(( $(date +%j) % N )) will generate a rotating pattern 0 to N-1
If there's something that you don't get about it, please let us know what it is.

This is absolutely NOT what I want. I can get what I want with the /vmfs/volumes/backup/replica/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) however the --rotate=3 does not remove older folders.

/vmfs/volumes/585bd3c7-63c6dc10-a706-001fc69beea0/XSIBackup-DC/xsibackup \
--replica \
"VMs(tester)" \
/vmfs/volumes/backup/replica/$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) \
--rotate=3

#25 2021-07-22 20:06:47

zarthan

I truly appreciate the usefulness of your application. Telling people that it doesn't work like that or what you want to do isn't a backup really sells your program short. That smaller organizations or simpler needs can use your application and have it work as the classic program does and you should embrace it. Someone can start with a simple, point-in-time copy and move themselves to something far more complex. The true beauty of your application is that it runs all within the ESXi host, and with a little bit of encouragement can suit almost everyone froe the single server with a handful of VMs to a Datacenter.

Board footer