©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-14 10:46:26

herrep

XSIBackup-DC --replica: Keep the latest n versions of replicated VMs

Hi,

After setting up XSIBackup-DC to create replicas of VMs, I realized that the --timestamp option does not show any impact.  In any case, the replicas are stored directly below the given backup directory so that I assume that the replicas will be overwritten when performing xsibackup another time.

Besides a deduplication backup which I do not discuss here, I would like to maintain a few versions of the replicated VMs. Therefore, I used the following parameters:

--rotate="4" \
--timestamp=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` \

My intention was to store the last four replicas of VMs in dedicated timestamp directories.  What needs to be done to reach this goal?

If possible, I would like to keep not exactly the last n versions, but the respective latest version per chosen periodicity, e.g. the 4 latest versions per week.

Best regards,
Peter

#2 2021-05-14 14:41:13

admin
Administrator

Re: XSIBackup-DC --replica: Keep the latest n versions of replicated VMs

You are probably assuming that DC works exactly the same way as Pro Classic, which is incorrect.
DC works by two main actions: --replica & --backup.

Replica produces replicas, it's not been thought to produce full backups, as replicas (and also backups) are differential and  if you create a new replica every time, you won't be taking advantage of any delta algorithm.

In any case if you still wish to do so, it's very easy, just add some dynamic replica target such as:

./xsibackup --replica "VMs(MyVM)" /vmfs/volumes/backups/replicas/$(date +%Y%m%d)

Board footer