©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-11 07:03:42

ealib

VM replication completes with segmentation fault

I just found the source of a recurring error in one of my jobs.

xsibackup --replica terminates with Segmentation fault on a large VM (about 7.5TB). On next run, job terminates immediately with *** Remote directory is locked ***.

xsibackup --repair doesn't seem to work.

./xsibackup --check=full /vmfs/volumes/san03/vm42 is running just now.

Now how do you get out of that corner? Can XSI Backup handle VMs as large as that one?

#2 2021-05-11 09:11:18

admin
Administrator

Re: VM replication completes with segmentation fault

When some job ends abruptly, the remote .locked file in the root of the replica folder or repository is not deleted, just remove it manually to unlock.
--repair applies to repositories, has nothing to do with VMs.
If the segfault was generated after the backup process, then your backup is OK and you don't need to worry about its integrity.
Please, post the relevant code to find out.

#3 2021-05-14 16:52:48

ealib

I found the .locked file. Thanks.

In the meantime

./xsibackup --check=full /vmfs/volumes/san03/vm42

finished, wrote that all replicated files are OK, but then it wrote Segmentation fault again and terminated:

SIGTERM (11) condition was trapped: check logs for more details

Cleaning up...

Segmentation fault

Logs contain no more error info than what is written to the terminal.

#4 2021-05-14 18:08:35

admin
Administrator

It's not something about the data files, but some variable which is expected to contain some value but does not or is overflown.
It could be something as simple as some string length being overflown, some unexpected value in some field of any of the VM config files, etc..
This is not a generalized issue, thus, there must be something in your job/ environment triggering that behavior.

Provide as much feedback as you can. Start by posting all relevant information, that consists of the following:

1 - The full job that caused the issue.
2 - The full output
3 - Any relevant information, such as some unusual length in some path, email string, etc...

#5 2021-06-03 08:55:01

ealib

After removing the lock file from VM's target replication directory, I could successfully replicate it with xsi 1.5.0.3.

But after upgrading to xsi 1.5.0.6, last night the segmentation fault appeared again.

To switch to CBT-based replication, for further testing, do I need to clear the target replication directory, or not?

#6 2021-06-03 11:45:30

admin
Administrator

That segfault is produced at the end of the backup process right?.

We know it probably has something to do with your smtpsrvs.conf file, that's why we added more strict validations in v. 1.5.0.6, so that any spurious characters or empty lines that you may have introduced by editing the file manually are conveniently filtered out to prevent uncontrolled errors.

There are other text files which are writtent to after the backup that could cause this behaviour too.
We have not been able to reproduce this kind of issue consistently though, thus we will keep on revising and reinforcing checks after the backup.

From your part, just make sure that the smtpsrvs.conf file looks healthy, you may check with some advanced text editor such as Notepad++, enable the view of all characters and check that you don't have weird things amidst the SMTP servers' config. Also make sure that you don't have characters that may need scaping in your password fields.

#7 2021-06-09 06:25:44

ealib

I can confirm that XSIBackup-DC 1.5.0.7 solved the segmentation fault issue.

I will keep that host monitored for a couple more days.

Board footer