©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-24 16:21:48

Tolik

Backup Job Fails with Can't get <SERVERNAME> power status

Hi, DC Backup doesnt work on my ESXI 7 U1 host, it fails saying

Error code 916 at file esxi.c, line 916 | Error description:    |
                         | getVMPowerState: fgets() returned NULL 2021-03-24T17:07:23 | Error code 3023 at file  |
                         | xsibackup.c, line 3023 | Error description: Can't get <VM-SERVERNAME>power status

Do I miss something or is it an issue ?

#2 2021-03-25 10:57:51

admin
Administrator

Re: Backup Job Fails with Can't get <SERVERNAME> power status

We haven't still announced compatibility with that (c)ESXi build. Latest tested build is ESXi-7.0bs-16321839-standard. Please try not to use latest version in production. There aren't generally big changes from one version to the next, but you never know, we might need to address some change in the way (c)ESXi behaves.

In fact latest (c)ESXi builds have introduced some further read locks on the VM files that make (c)XSIBackup generate invalid backup files.

Please beware of using some of the latest (c)ESXi 7.0 builds without consulting us first or trying replicas and restores throughly before using, as you may be generating invalid backup files.

We will publish a compatibility list later this week.

#3 2021-03-25 13:58:32

Tolik

I forgot to mention that a tried start the backup using xsibackup-gui. Today A I've tried to strart the backup process using xsibackup from cli and it is working.

#4 2021-03-25 22:45:03

admin
Administrator

Some newer builds may introduce changes that (c)XSIBackup has not been prepared to handle. Being able to perform a backup is not enough, as (c)XSIBackup depends on the metadata associated to the VM. Perform thorough tests: backup, restore, replicate, before setting up any production scheme.

It takes us some time to revise and test our software with newer builds as they are released, if you go ahead of us, you are plainly being the first to cross on thin ice. We never lose the chance to state this, nonetheless some of you are too eager to use newer (c)ESXi releases.

It's O.K. to test new releases on test labs, nonetheless, for goodness sake, always use well tested software in production and if you decide to use the very latest release, at least perform thorough tests before jumping out of the plane.

#5 2021-04-06 12:58:23

admin
Administrator

We have successfully tested 1.5.0.0 with up to ESXi-7.0U1d-17551050. We will run more thorough tests before announcing compatibility with these latest releases. ESXi U2 will still take some weeks.

Thus, your issue must be related to some particular circumstance. Please, offer us more details to try to determine the possible cause.
Maybe some special characters in the name of the VM?

#6 2021-04-08 16:35:19

Tolik

Hi, thanks for your responses. Actually there is no any sepcial chars nor spaces. This strage behaviour comes only when I start job from the gui. The xsibackup command runs without any errors. I'll try to update to the latest version of the xsi and laet you know.

Thanks!

#7 2021-04-08 17:33:37

admin
Administrator

When you run the command from the GUI you do run the exactly same job than when you do so from the command line, it's just invoked indirectly.

The thing is that a command used to detect the state of the VM returns NULL, which is awkward, it could maybe be due to the operation timing out.

Run this command (where VMID is the numeric ID of your VM) and post what it returns, we will take a closer look at your issue, we haven´t been able to reproduce it so far though. Anybody else experiencing the same issue, please report.

vim-cmd vmsvc/power.getstate VMID

Board footer