©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-31 16:19:16

rczajkowski

xsibackup line 429 syntax error unexpected newline

I just took over administration of XSBackup Pro running in our environment and found that is has not worked at all for some time now. When I access ESXi host on which it is installed and try to run it I get the following error:

./xsibackup: line 429: syntax error: unexpected newline

It seems that this ESXi host was updated from version 5.5. to 6.5 a few months back and this might have been what broke xsibackup.

Here are some details:

ESXi host is running VMware ESXi 6.5.0, Build 13932383, Update 3

XSIBackup installed on this host is XSIBackup Pro version 9.1.8.

BTW, line 429 of xsibackup file contains the following:
<html>

Any assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated,

Last edited by rczajkowski (2020-12-31 17:20:43)

#2 2020-12-31 17:44:30

rczajkowski

Re: xsibackup line 429 syntax error unexpected newline

I think I was able to fix the problem by following the workaround instructions. I used busybox from a hypervisor running ESXi 5.5. I will know for sure after the scheduled backup run tonight.

#3 2020-12-31 18:28:19

admin
Administrator

Re: xsibackup line 429 syntax error unexpected newline

(c)ESXi evolves and changes from one branch to the next, we release new versions to ensure compatibility with newer builds and still keep it with the old ones. The easiest way to keep compatibility is by upgrading to the latest available Pro version. Please, note that (c)XSIBackup-Pro is compatible with (c)ESXi builds up to 6.7U3

If you upgrade the (c)ESXi version but forget to upgrade (c)XSIBackup, the most likely thing that will happen is something like what you describe.

If you use an (c)XSIBackup version that was created before (c)ESXi 6.7 even existed, you will keep on getting awkward results, it could only work by chance.

Contact us from Jan 2nd and we'll offer you a solution. The most recommendable one would be to upgrade to (c)XSIBackup-DC, we have indeed developed the software a lot since your version. You are an old client, we will take that into account.

Board footer