©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-17 13:08:43

autopatch

Error of no space left

Hello,

I ran a few successful backups with XSI Backup DC but it stopped working on both hosts, they are now backing up approx. Half of the existing VMs.

In the logs I get the following error:

Error code 131 at file signal.c, line 131 | Error description: some error was trapped SIGTERM (11) (11) while executing the job, error: No space left on device

Now the error is pretty clear, the only problem is that I have a 10TB NAS-System attached via NFS which still  has 7,2 TB of storage left.
Do you know why I get the error even though there is plenty of room?
Thank you!

#2 2020-12-17 17:04:56

admin
Administrator

Re: Error of no space left

It must be the local /tmp dirs at:

/tmp
/scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-DC/tmp

Delete any files/ folders there. Next version 1.4.2.8 will include a fix.

#3 2020-12-21 10:36:46

autopatch

Hello,

I emtpied both tmp folders on both hosts, sadly there is no sign of improvement.
Host1: 15/23 VMs backed up
Host2: 3/20 VMs backed up

The error remains the same.
What else can I do? That situation is quite risky at the moment.
And when will the fixed version be released approx.?

Edit: Maybe the error which gets logged before the no space left error is important (it only happens on one of the two hosts)

[90m-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[0m

23/23                                      L-GFL-DC1-000001.vmdk                 [skipped excluded]Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/sbin/df", line 110, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
  File "/sbin/df", line 106, in main
    i["Percentage"], i["Mounted on"])
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in position 88: ordinal not in range(128)

[90m-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[0m
Total size:                                                                     80.01 GB    [90m|[0m Done 100.00%
*** Snapshot was removed ***
Backup end date: 2020-12-18T19:58:35
Time taken: 00:50:19 (3019 sec.)
Total time:     3461 sec.
Full file speed:                                                                        27.14 mb/s
Real data speed:                                                                        17.28 mb/s
Item backup completed
Item number 4 in this job

2020-12-18T19:59:07 | Error code 131 at file signal.c, line 131 | Error description: some error was trapped SIGTERM (11) (11) while executing the job, error: No space left on device

Last edited by autopatch (2020-12-21 10:41:15)

#4 2020-12-21 11:51:40

admin
Administrator

Of course it is important.
In fact it is indeed the first error in a stack that points in the right direction.
We can't obviously help you if you don't post the relevant information. You have now posted the error, but you have skipped the rest of the log, thus we don't know: ESXi version, local and remote FSs, etc...
If you are concerned about posting that data, then contact support, but some comment is not enough to open a serious ticket.

There's something ackward somewhere in your df -h output (used by (c)XSIBackup-DC internally).

File "/sbin/df", line 110, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
  File "/sbin/df", line 106, in main
    i["Percentage"], i["Mounted on"])
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in position 88: ordinal not in range(128)

The above error is thrown by the Python stack at ESXi, which is used for many internal management tasks and is pointing at some encoding issue in the path of some datastore. In fact this error is below what (c)XSIBackup-DC can manage, so don't even try to perform a backup until you get read of that error.

The error is self explanatory, it's even letting you know the character that is causing the issue: u'\xfc'
If you cut&paste data between user interfaces you can provoke this kind of situation without even knowing.
For some reason that non-ASCII character has got into some datastore name, most probably.

A way to reproduce that error would be to just run the df -h command from the SSH command line of your (c)ESXi host.

#5 2020-12-21 12:53:27

autopatch

I sent you detailed information & logs via support E-Mail.

#6 2020-12-21 13:19:52

admin
Administrator

The problem is clear, do not use non-ASCII characters in datastore names.

Board footer