©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-22 08:03:53

TRahmlow

Link XSIBackup-DC -> XSIBackup-NAS

Hi,

I would like to use XSIBackup-NAS from a XSIBackup-DC. I am trying to set up a link and after
entering the IP of the XSIBackup-NAS I get a request from the NAS to enter the password.
But after that I get the message 'You can only link to Linux and VMWare ESXi hosts'

Is there something I am doing wrong here ?

Thanks,
Thomas

#2 2020-09-22 10:12:18

admin
Administrator

Re: Link XSIBackup-DC -> XSIBackup-NAS

Use the --add-key action from the command line instead of using the GUI.
The complete message above should be:

You can only link to Linux and (c)VMWare (c)ESXi hosts
Response was: some text

Could you provide the response text?: that's where the information is contained.

#3 2020-09-22 10:37:05

TRahmlow

Hi, thanks for the answer.... I tried the non gui-version
./xsibackup --add-key root@134.28.70.59:22
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|||   (c)XSIBackup-DC 1.4.0.0: Backup & Replication Software                    |||
|||   (c)33HOPS, Sistemas de Informacion y Redes, S.L. | All Rights Reserved    |||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
                   (c)Daniel J. Garcia Fidalgo | info@33hops.com
System Information: ESXi, Kernel 7 Major 0 Minor 0 Patch 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
License: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PID: 2293325, Running job as: root
root@134.28.70.59's password:
Key exchange routine
This is the routine to exchange keys with other servers
You will be prompted to enter the remote server's password
a number of times. Please do so, this is a one time operation
/!\ Remember to enable SSH out in the ESXi firewall
Could not determine system type at: 134.28.70.59
response: permission         KO
Response from 134.28.70.59 was: permission denied, please try again.permission denied, please try again.root@134.28.70.59: permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password).
can't exchange key /vmfs/volumes/5f573d02-2eac82e8-5fb0-2cea7f578cbd/XSI/XSIBackup-DC/xsibackup_id_rsa with: root@134.28.70.59:22
Removed <tmp> dir        OK
SSH session was closed   OK
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ssh does work though on the commandline:

>ssh root@134.28.70.59

gives me instant login into xsibackup-nas. VM Firewall for ssh client/server is open.

The response from the gui is just "You can only... ESXi hosts ############### # Tip: ################################# #Tip: type the menu....etc

Any idea would be appreciated,
thanks,
Thomas

#4 2020-09-22 13:58:58

admin
Administrator

We haven't tested (c)XSIBackup-NAS with (c)ESXi 7.0, please use some older version. That doesn't mean it can't work, but most probably default OpenSSH configuration is preventing (c)ESXi 7.0 from being able to authenticate by public key.

We don't understand what you mean by "ssh does work though on the commandline", the example you are posing is misleading.

You can't login to (c)XSIBackup-NAS using the (c)XSIBackup-DC RSA key; by running

ssh root@134.28.70.59

You are using the default (c)ESXi host key. To use (c)XSIBackup-DC's RSA key run the code below from the installation dir:

ssh -i xsibackup_id_rsa root@134.28.70.59

Update:
Apart from that, you can easily exchange the key manually, just paste the xsibackup_id_rsa.pub to its own line in the authorized_keys file at (c)XSIBackup-NAS, it is located in the /root/.ssh/ dir

#5 2020-09-24 07:11:07

TRahmlow

yes the manual exchange is working.
I only have 1 ESXi and its on V7.
I'll see how it goes and test things...

Thanks for the help,
Thomas

#6 2020-09-24 11:00:09

admin
Administrator

We did a correction to our previous post, there was a typo. The key that you have to paste in the authorized_keys file is the public key: xsibackup_id_rsa.pub

BTW, what do you mean by V7?

#7 2020-09-24 13:46:12

TRahmlow

I didn't even notice there was a typo... what I did worked anyway... thank you
and I meant ESXi 7.0

Board footer