©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-14 17:07:06

derilium

Permissions issues and cron not starting

I've been having a fight with this for a while, version 11 running on two servers will not run cron and did not send emails.
sorted the email problem by deleting the files that are used to connect to the email server (gmail) and generated my own.
Then i couldn't get cron to work so removed all traces of XSI backup and installed the latest version which now seems to install to scratch instead of the original default location (i initially changed it when installing but that didn't seem to work)

The backup works fine manually but will not work with cron even though it is pointing to the same location.

re-installed cron and ran the update against cron to confim it went into the cron tab.

now when it runs i get /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/jobs/001: line 1: /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/: Permission denied

I have checked the permissons and added 770 to all and i am running this as root.

any idea's

#2 2020-09-15 09:11:10

admin
Administrator

Re: Permissions issues and cron not starting

You are receiving a clear and classic message stating that you are lacking permissions on the job files

chmod 0700 /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/jobs/001

You will also need it on every parent folder, that might be your issue.
Permissions on parent folder post

Always use root to perform administration tasks like managing your backups, unless you are willing to face the issues derived from using a different one.

#3 2020-09-15 09:33:11

derilium

Thanks, i've run that command so will see what happens, the strange thing is i have logged in as root on putty and installed XSI Backup from that user so everything is being run as that user so there shouldn't be a permissions problem

#4 2020-09-15 11:09:54

derilium

No joy, ran the command as root (was logged in as root and no error appeared) changed the cron to run at a later time, cleared the xsi backup log then checked the log /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/jobs/001: line 1: /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/: Permission denied.

If i run the backup command manually from the same command line it runs fine without any problem.

#5 2020-09-15 13:34:34

admin
Administrator

Well, the cron is indeed working. We really don't know how you have come to receive that message, it's something about permissions though. It looks line the lack of permissions is afecting something in the installation dir, run this:

cd /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/
chmod 0700 /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/xsibackup
chmod -R 0700 /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-Free/bin

Board footer