©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-25 13:48:08

AlessioCalvio

Repository or Vmdk native file

Hello, I need to clarify some aspects:
I have been using XSIBackup-Free for a few months with a local backup and with Rsync backup.
I found the fantastic software to export my VMs to native vmdk format and was happy.
In recent months I found myself backing up a 700GB Windows Vm and I find myself with free software that backs up to about 22 MB from a raid 1 of the esxi server to another sata disk inside the server that we use as a spool data.
We need to have access to the vmdk files natively and to be able to archive them in vmdk format (this is a mandatory condition).

I proceeded to have a boost in the backup speed of the vm to buy the strong DC version of the support for the future esx7 and the fact that it was written in C.

I noticed from the first use that the repositories are in native and deduplicated format, this leads us to not be able to use the software as I thought.
Would it be possible to use the DC version to export a vm with a more effective algorithm and with a high speed and save it in native vmdk format even at the cost of losing compression and deduplication?

ultimately we could use the Dc with a FREE but with the features of a PRO (OneDiff or xsidiff)?

Thanks Alessio

#2 2020-06-25 19:32:44

sphen

Re: Repository or Vmdk native file

have you tried the --replica option? this would work as you desire and it should skip over similar portions of the file on both ends. I would have you try that over ssh and see how it goes.

#3 2020-07-06 17:00:42

AlessioCalvio

hello i'm trying to use ip replication.
but I get this error:

[root@T410:/vmfs/volumes/5c6d5bdc-8cb05db6-a621-842b2b75a3d3/XSIBackup-DC] ./xsibackup --replica "VMs(VM1)" study@192.168.175.246:22:/mnt/raid/33hops --remote-path=/home/study/xsi-backup
/bin
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|||   (c)XSIBackup-DC 1.3.0.1: Backup & Replication Software                    |||
|||   (c)33HOPS, Sistemas de Informacion y Redes, S.L. | All Rights Reserved    |||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
                   (c)Daniel J. Garcia Fidalgo | info@33hops.com
System Information: ESXi, Kernel 6 Major 5 Minor 0 Patch 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
License: 000206C20000000000000000842b2b75a3d3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSH: lun 6 lug 2020, 18:53:00, CEST
Remote system: linux
PID: 850867, Running job as: study
2020-07-06T16:53:02 | Error code 1767 at file xsibackup.c, line 1767
Error description: can't find remote XSIBackup at: /home/study/xsi-backup
Removed <tmp> dir        OK
Unlocked backup          OK
Removed PID              OK

esxi can login on my linux server (ssh andkey is ok)

this is my home
study@Nas-study:~/xsi-backup$ ls /home/study/xsi-backup
bin  docs  etc  EULA  install  lic  README.txt  src  var  xsibackup  xsibackup-dc.zip  xsibackup_id_rsa  xsibackup_id_rsa.pub  xsi-backup.zip

xsibackup run correctly on my server with user study

if i try:
./xsibackup --replica "VMs(VM1)" study@192.168.175.246:22:/mnt/raid/33hops --remote-path=/home/study/xsi-backup
/xsibackup
|||   (c)XSIBackup-DC 1.3.0.1: Backup & Replication Software                    |||
|||   (c)33HOPS, Sistemas de Informacion y Redes, S.L. | All Rights Reserved    |||
SSH: lun 6 lug 2020, 18:58:56, CEST
PID: 850994, Running job as: study
Can't create config file: No such file or directory
(c)XSIBackup-DC replicating data to /mnt/raid/33hops
Datastore name is empty
Target VM at <192.168.175.246:22:/mnt/raid/33hops/VM1> has changed, hash table must be rebuilt...
Can't re-sync remote replica at </mnt/raid/33hops/VM1>, please re-sync manually. Message was: 2020-07-06T18:59:01 | Error code 1341 at file common.c, line 1341Error description: can't create file: /etc/xsi/xsibackup.conf, error: No such file or directory-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Can't find error file:2020-07-06T18:59:01 | Error code 22 at file xsibackup.c, line 431Error description: Error creating config fileCan't create config file: No such file or directory-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Can't find error file:2020-07-06T18:59:01 | Error code 769 at file check.c, line 769Error description: the replica path (/mnt/raid/33hops/VM1) does not contain a .map directory-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Can't find error file: /var/log/xsi/error.log0
SSH session was closed   OK

can you help me?

Last edited by AlessioCalvio (2020-07-06 17:01:06)

#4 2020-07-06 19:01:59

admin
Administrator

As clearly stated in the manual, the --remote-path argument must point to the remote xsibackup binary, you are pointing it to a dir.

You are using a different user than root. Unless you are willing to go through configuring a different user to be used on the remote backup server, we recommend that you stick to root user.

You must make sure that the user you are passing in your backup command has all the neccessary rights to perform all the actions a backup job must perform on the remote end.

In your case, the study user needs write permissions on the /etc/xsi folder. Of course it must also have full permissions on the folder you are storing your backups to.

Configuring some other user different than root is not a trivial task, you need to take into account permissions on all files and dirs implied in the backup or replica.

#5 2020-07-07 14:20:38

AlessioCalvio

Thanks for the quick answer.
now everything works correctly with the Root user.
I was convinced that providing the --remote-path xsibackup parameter would not look for or write anything outside the specified folder that had the correct permissions.
Instead as you reported in / etc / xsi this was the problem.

Thanks finally I am trying xsibackup Dc with replication and it seems to work as I expected.
great software.
Regards
Alessio

Last edited by AlessioCalvio (2020-07-07 14:20:54)

#6 2020-07-27 15:18:44

AlessioCalvio

First of all, I would like to thank the admin for his timely support.
Unfortunately I had to rebuild my linux nas after a motherboard failure and now I get this problem.
the keys have been correctly exchanged.

[root@T410:/vmfs/volumes/5c6d5bdc-8cb05db6-a621-842b2b75a3d3/XSIBackup-DC] ./xsibackup --replica "VMs(Etica-Erp2014)" root@192.168.175.246:22:/mnt/data/alessio/ --remote-path=/root/xsi-backup/xsibackup --verbosi
ty=10
Primary TMP folder: /tmp/xsi/554413
Secondary TMP folder: /vmfs/volumes/5c6d5bdc-8cb05db6-a621-842b2b75a3d3/XSIBackup-DC/tmp/554413
SSH: Mon Jul 27 17:14:24 CEST 2020
PID: 554413, Running job as: root
Configured ciphers: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc
Checking whether XSIBackup-DC can be found at </root/xsi-backup/xsibackup>
XSIBackup-DC was found at </root/xsi-backup/xsibackup>
(c)XSIBackup-DC replicating data to /mnt/data/alessio/
Found remote dir /mnt/data/alessio at 192.168.175.246:22
Virtual Machine Name: Etica-Erp2014
Creating snapshot VM : Etica-Erp2014 (powered on)
*** Snapshot was successfully created ***
Created remote folder at 192.168.175.246:22:/mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014
Lock file: /mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014/.locked
Target VM at <192.168.175.246:22:/mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014> has changed, hash table must be rebuilt...
Can't re-sync remote replica at </mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014>, please re-sync manually. Message was:
*** Snapshot was removed ***

#7 2020-07-27 16:14:41

admin
Administrator

This error is telling you that the remote replica checksum has changed, in regards to what the stored hash tables are. The (c)XSIBackup-DC server role tried to rebuild the hash tables but it failed to, thus you need to solve the problem manually.

The easiest way to solve it is to rename the remote replica folder at /mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014 and let the --replica start from scratch.

mv /mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014 /mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014.bak

If you want to know the exact reason why the remote replica can't be rebuilt, check the xsibackup.log on the server (the remote end). As the remote end is Linux the log will be at /etc/xsi/

#8 2020-07-28 08:38:36

AlessioCalvio

hi, I did these tests but the problem is exactly the same:

-I checked the exec permissions on the / root / xsibackup folder and they are correct.
- I checked the xsibackup executable on the remote machine and not for errors.
- I cannot find the /etc/xsi/xsibackup.log file on the remote machine
- I simply unzipped xsibackaupdc into root

I completely deleted the / mnt / data / alessio folder, now the folder is empty.

On the first run I get the same error and the replication doesn't start.

#9 2020-07-28 17:13:22

admin
Administrator

Then you are not backing up where you believe to be doing it, as that error can only be raised when some previous backup exists in place.

#10 2020-08-05 13:24:41

AlessioCalvio

Hello admin, to machine 192.168.175.246 xsibackup create the folder: look:
Created remote folder at 192.168.175.246:22:/mnt/data/alessio/Etica-Erp2014
if we check folder /mnt/data/alessio/ Etica-Erp2014 was created from xsibackup.
ssh is ok. target machine is ok.

Folder to destination machine was created but.. no replica starts.
Do you prefer contact on email support to perform a remote verification?

#11 2020-08-06 13:00:29

admin
Administrator

You are just commenting your issue without providing any detail on it.
Please paste the job and output any time you request support.

Please, contact support on your issue.
If you want a straight way to perform your backups, stick to recommended procedures. If you use your own Linux distros as the backup servers other than: RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, you will need to comprehend the different pieces implied to getting it to work, namely: ciphers on each side, permissions, etc...

#12 2020-08-06 15:52:50

AlessioCalvio

Thanks admin for the answer, I didn't want to waste your time
I will contact support
Good day

#13 2020-08-09 10:30:55

admin
Administrator

No worries, you don't waste our time. We can't offer much advice if we don't have some minimum input data though.

Board footer