©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-11 19:38:33

Greg

Xsibackup Free doquiesce

Searching through the MAN page for Xsibackup Free to me the option --snapshot=includememory,doquiesce appears to be valid, again, for the free version.

When I run a job with these options the log indicates "includememory" was used due to the job's log entry "Memory will be included in the snapshot".

However, immediately following that entry the next log written says this:

"Windows quiescing is not available in XSIBACKUP-FREE"

Is this really the case and I am just not understanding the options correctly when creating the backup job?

#2 2020-03-12 20:33:40

admin
Administrator

Re: Xsibackup Free doquiesce

Quiescing has nothing to do with including the memory in the backup snapshot which is BTW perfectly useless. It is a kind of almost useless option, as the backup snapshot is deleted right after the backup completes loosing all the data in it, thus including the memory in the backup snapshot will only contribute to make the snapshot creation phase take much longer.

Invalid arguments are ignored.

#3 2020-03-13 12:26:48

Greg

Re: Xsibackup Free doquiesce

Thanks for replying but really my question isn't so much about the "includememory" option as it is about "doquiesce". Perhaps I'm not understanding your reply correctly so I'll ask more directly:

Is "doquiesce" a feature of the free version or not? Again, reading the MAN page it seems to indicate it is a valid option both the free and paid version and this is the section of the MAN page I am referring to:

• includememory: appending this value will include memory in the snapshots taken throughout the backup job, memory is excluded by default since v. 9.0
• doquiesce: this flag will instruct XSIBackup to quiesce the OS before taking a snapshot.
Usage:

--snapshot=includememory
--snapshot=includememory,doquiesce

Thanks again for your help and for your patience with my lack of understanding.

Last edited by Greg (2020-03-13 13:47:03)

Board footer