©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-04 13:32:16

sistemi

Bug in OneDiff logic? Hard to replicate...

During a OneDiff backup i see this, look at the last line, there is no such disk in the BKPMAN VM, how can it happen?

VMs to backup:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
34     BKPMAN              [datastore1] BKPMAN/BKPMAN.vmx                                      windows7_64Guest        vmx-08                                                       
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Needed room: 71 Gb.
Sparse size: 71 Gb.
Available room: 2189 Gb.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hot backup selected for VM: [BKPMAN], will not be switched off
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alert: Windows 64 bit OS (windows7_64) detected on MBR partition, quiescing disabled
Alert: double check that your backups are being made properly if you use Windows Server
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[BKPMAN] info: quick size check...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[BKPMAN] info: file [BKPMAN-flat.vmdk]...
[BKPMAN] info: file size check | OK [ 75161927680 bytes | 75161927680 bytes ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[BKPMAN] notice DIFRMMIS: no [WinServer2012_01_1-flat.vmdk"] in remote OneDiff mirror, first run?.

#2 2017-09-04 13:50:59

admin
Administrator

Re: Bug in OneDiff logic? Hard to replicate...

Run this and note the output

cat /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/BKPMAN/BKPMAN.vmx | grep ".vmdk"

XSIBackup just collects the information present in the configuration files

#3 2017-09-04 13:58:16

sistemi

admin wrote:

Run this and note the output

cat /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/BKPMAN/BKPMAN.vmx | grep ".vmdk"

XSIBackup just collects the information present in the configuration files

scsi0:1.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/52af331b-f40ac352-efea-5cf3fcb0ddc1/temp/WinServer2012_01_1.vmdk"

You are right, wow, seems a ghost disk, not appearing in VM settings, do you think i can safely remove that line?

Also i noticed another strange behaviour, if launch a remote backup job (other host, datastore on NAS in the internal lan, other than the datastore of the VM) using onediff, the VM *_XSIBAK are not created, is it normal? If i launch the job within then host they are created.

#4 2017-09-04 17:50:36

admin
Administrator

Yes, you can remove that line (and any other related one) if you are confident you want to remove that disk. I would sanitize the .vmx file prior to posing any other later action.

A corrupt configuration file can cause all sort of unexpected results, not only from part of XSIBackup, but from any other program accessing the VM like the vSphere GUI, vCenter, vCenter Converter, etc...

#5 2017-09-05 06:43:03

sistemi

thanks, solved adding a new disk, and then removing it, from the vSphere client, the ghost disk disappeared.

Board footer