©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-04 21:14:43

mcgurme

newbie: how to backup to other unix server

Hello

I have a remote macOS host with a very large RAID in my office that I want to make offsite backups to. My primary server is in a hosting farm and it is very expensive to add on external storage, not in my budget right now.

I bought the Pro version hoping to use xsitools, but I do not see how to do this.

I tried to find the source for xsidiff to see if I could get it compiled on macOS, but could not find that.

I have considered rsync, which may be slow, but you require a static IP for remote server. Mine is dynamic, with a dynamic DNS hostname.

What are the options for sending backups to a remote, non-esxi host?*

Thanks
Morgan

* You may say "read the manuals" but believe me, I have. As a new user to XSIbackup, I have read and re-read most of your blog pages. There is a bewildering array of options and tools, but no clear answer I have found to this question.

#2 2017-09-05 20:34:49

admin
Administrator

Re: newbie: how to backup to other unix server

Well, first of all you need a fixed IP or a "kind of". You may use one of those Dynamic DNS services to get a fixed domain name:

- https://www.noip.com/free

Mac OSX is Unix, but not compatible with Linux binaries. You could use Rsync on the Mac side, but that would force you to use a close version to 3.1.0 to prevent Rsync protocol errors, and even if you succeded, it would be slow.

I think your best bet would be to just use a Linux VM running on your Mac connected to your storage pool. You can download a free .ova package here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5o7N … 2szTWZyUTg

This Linux VM can run with as little as 512 mb. of RAM and still offer you maximum speed when connected to any NFS or iSCSI device. That way you could use, XSIBackup's bundled Rsync and XSIDiff and store the backups to your RAID.

Depending on your connectivity possibilities in regards to the mentioned RAID, your options would range from adding virtual disks to your Linux VM and host them in the RAID, to connecting a minimal VM to your RAID as a raw device and use it just as a passthrough device.

#3 2017-09-05 23:54:26

mcgurme

Re: newbie: how to backup to other unix server

Hi, Thank you Administrator for your quick response.

The way the guide was written, I didn't realize that a FDQN would work in place of IP address. I have already signed up for No-IP a while ago for this system smile

I appreciate your idea about the linux VM. I may go that route. I had though of it, but there is definitely an overhead in running one, however, at least my machine has 24GB RAM, so it shouldn't suffer too much.

I will experiment with that approach.

Thanks again!

Board footer