©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-20 18:56:31

wowbagger

xsibackup DC exit code

Using NFS sync fixed my previous problem but now I'm running into this:

2020-01-20T18:36:04 | Error code 2713 at file xsibackup.c, line 2713
Error description: some error was raised while backing up: VMs(Windows-Test-Machine), error count is: 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Removed /tmp/xsi dir     OK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unlocked backup          OK
Removed PID              OK
[root@castor:/vmfs/volumes/5ac69dfc-2fa7b7e2-0c51-000af78e7300/xsi] echo $?

XSIBackup DC exit code is zero but it did encounter an error.
Is it possible to throw exit code <> 0 if it encountered an error?

Thx

#2 2020-01-21 12:12:34

admin
Administrator

Re: xsibackup DC exit code

You are starting with a mistery, what was your previous problem?

In regards to the exit code. We still have to create a table of exit codes, they will most probably be associated with the current error codes. By now you can't rely on the exit code to integrate (c)XSIBackup-DC in wider scope scripts, you need to check e-mail reports or output.

#3 2020-01-21 21:55:40

wowbagger

Thanks for your reply,

The error itself I copied has something to do with a VM that has been renamed through vCenter, I'm still planning to analyse it a bit deeper but I guess I can fix it by using vmware-convertor on the renamed VM so all notions of the previous name are gone. I don't think it's a problem with XSIBackup.
Reason for renaming was that the VM name itself contained () braces after joining other ESX hosts into vCenter and it detected VM's with the same (Windows-Test-Machine) name and appended (1) (2) ... after each VM, so I renamed them because I figured VM's with () braces in the name could upset the XSIBackup cmdline.

But the question was indeed for the exit-codes wink , I'm using XSIBackup in a remote ssh execution inside a Jenkins job and now work around it by first deleting var/log/error.log file before starting XSIBackup and when the backup is finished I count the lines in var/log/error.log and use that as an exit code for the Jenkins job so when it's != 0 the Jenkins job throws an error so we know the backup or the repo-check had an issue.

Thx!

#4 2020-01-23 09:06:45

admin
Administrator

In regards to the naming issue. You don't need to use any tool, just check the files names, the .vmdk names the .vmx file is pointing to, the displayName property in the .vmx file too and check that the .vmdk files point to the right -flat.vmdk files. If you are using snapshots you will need to tweak the .vmsd file content as well. That's all there is to it, keep control with your own eye, or you will just add another layer of uncertainties to your setup.

UPDATE:
It seems that the exit code issue is fixed in v. 1.1.0.7, just visit the change log, we'll add this fix there before we launch 1.1.0.7 in a couple of days at most:
(c)XSIBackup-DC Change Log

Board footer