©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-02 15:57:12

Brian

Target Backup Path

I have been trying out the Free version of XSIBackup over the last week.

Here is one thing I am trying to accomplish so far.  But I am having problems with getting it to work.

I am trying to setup a target backup path as follows:
\XSIBackupVMS\Windows 10 Pro\08-27-2017-17-23  So in other words I want a folder under XSIBackupVMS for each VM that is being backed up.  And then inside of the VM folder (for example "Windows 10 Pro") I would like folders that are named by the date/time of when they were created (backed up).

--backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/MacServer/XSIBackupVMS
--backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/MacServer/XSIBackupVMS/$( date +'%m-%d-%Y-%H-%M')"

Those are the two target backup paths I have tried.  But neither one is doing exactly what I want to accomplish.  Can someone please
give me a idea of how to accomplish this.

#2 2017-09-02 16:19:25

admin
Administrator

Re: Target Backup Path

Remove the [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#datedir]--date-dir[/url] argument, so that XSIBackup does not create a timestamped subfolder and use something similar to

--backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/MacServer/XSIBackupVMS/$( date +'%m-%d-%Y-%H-%M')"

I would use an ISO timestamp to make sure the folders are ordered alphabetically.

--backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/MacServer/XSIBackupVMS/$( date +'%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S')"

Still waiting to know what is that you want to accomplish and you have not yet been able to.

#3 2017-09-02 22:16:02

Brian

Maybe I did not explain the backup target folder structure as good as I could have in my intial post.   So let me try and explain it again.

Proposed XSIbackup command:
./xsibackup --backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/MacServer/XSIBackupVMS/$( date +'%m-%d-%Y-%H-%M')" --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="Ubuntu 64-bit Server 16-04-2"

The proposed xsibackup command above will create the following backup target path
/vmfs/volumes/MacServer/XSIBackupVMS/09-02-2017-01-36/Ubuntu 64-bit Server 16-04-2

But the backup target path that I really want to create, would be as follows:
/vmfs/volumes/MacServer/XSIBackupVMS/Ubuntu 64-bit Server 16-04-2/09-02-2017-01-36

And also I am not using the --date-dir=yes switch in my command line

I believe it is hard coded into the XSIbackup command to immediately append the name of the VM that is being backed up to the path that has been desiginated with the --backup-point switch.  And I am trying to figure out a way of modifying this behavior.

#4 2017-09-03 15:25:42

admin
Administrator

Yes, XSIBackup appends the VMName to the path, how come not?, there has to be some minimum set of rules.
You have two choices:

1 - Assume the default behaviour: datastore folder/configurable date mask/VM Name
2 - Modify the program to pledge to your particular needs, it should be fairly easy to change this.

I personally don't think it's worth to go your own way, unless there are so strong and unavoidable reasons to do it, that it turns out to be a matter of do or die. The reason is that if you do, you will have to re-apply your customization every time you upgrade to a new version.

Board footer