©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-06 18:48:07

blackbrick

Problem Backing up to Repository

I've got a linux vm running in ESXi 6.5.  I've removed all snapshots and the vm appears to be running well.  While doing a hot backup, I get this error message while backing up the flat vmdk: 

Error code 333 at file dedup-in.c, line 333
Error description: can't open temp block file: [repository directory]/data/122320458052002154.tmp

I've tried removing previous backups for this vm, repairing the repository, and backing up again but i'm still receiving this error.  Would you have any tips on how to solve this?

Thanks!

#2 2019-12-07 09:46:59

admin
Administrator

Re: Problem Backing up to Repository

For local backups (that seems to be your case), the temp block is stored in the root of the /data/ folder and then renamed to its final position in the repository. So not being able to open it could be due to some permission problem, which does not seem to be the case, or some hardware error. I/O errors are very sticky, so the fact that it repeats at the same position every time could indicate a read error triggered by some underlying FS problem.

Temp blocks are stored in the /tmp dir for over IP backups, so that could mean that you run out of space in it. (c)XSIBackup-DC deletes its temp data after each backup and generates very little amount, maybe something else stuffed /tmp

Take on account that the same file is used to store the temp block data in over IP backups, so it can't be stuffed by successive blocks being written.

It could also be due to some hardware error.

#3 2019-12-07 10:01:58

blackbrick

I see.  I am currently just testing everything so my repository is sitting on a vmfs.  Could it be that the file limit has been reached?  Would that produce this error?  I also have a feature request.  When I encounter this error, the completion/status email isn't sent.  Is it possible to send an email stating that the backup didn't complete?

As for the /tmp folder, does xsibackup use the [install directory]/tmp or does it use the default ESXi /tmp?  If it is the default ESXi /tmp, as my boot disk/partition is much smaller than my data drive, it is possible that it is full too.  Is the required space simply the compressed vm(s) or is there more that is temporarily stored there?

Thanks!

#4 2019-12-09 13:10:33

admin
Administrator

Could very well be the case, although the information offered from part of (c)VMWare is not clear in regards to latest VMFS versions, for VMFS5 the inode imit is around 130.000, which is not much. Use ext4 or XFS as your target FS for deduplicated backups, just attach some Linux or NAS via NFS.

XSIBackup uses the /tmp folder for .map files and temp blocks when you run it over IP, but it uses little space there. The default size for /tmp in ESXi is 200MB.

Board footer