©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-02 15:54:41

cuchillo

scratch

I've  read https://33hops.com/xsibackup-datacenter … ckups.html. I have XSI-DC installed on the prymary datastore of ESXi6 (datastore1) which is an SSD. If I understood correctly the tmp files of XSI-DC are already at this location and have 4GB of space. No corrections or tunning is needed. Am I right?

#2 2019-12-02 20:31:27

admin
Administrator

Re: scratch

What has 4 GB available is the /scratch volume. We recommend to install XSIBackup-DC (and also Pro since v. 11.2.11) to /scratch/XSI/XSIBackup-DC.

In regards to the 4 GB available and the space needed to generate the pruning logs, this is enough to handle multi-terabyte repo pruning. Only if your volume of data is really big, let's say above many TB, you should start concerning about whether the installation volume will be big enough to handle the logs.

The rule is simple: you need 4 MB of space per each 100GB per restore point. So if you are backing up 4 TB of data and you keep 30 restore points you would need 4,8 GB of room for the prune logs, thus you would have to move your installation to a bigger volume. The easiest thing to do in those cases is to move the scratch partition.

vim-cmd hostsvc/advopt/update ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation string /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/scratch

In your case you have installed to datastore1, so you should have plenty of room depending on the size of the SSD. Be careful when using flash drives to install ESXi as they are not very fast, you may need to install (c)XSIBackup-DC to some alternative datastore in those cases too.

#3 2019-12-02 20:45:37

cuchillo

Re: scratch

Great! Tnx

Board footer