©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-16 17:30:35

toddfx

Backup remote server - way to specify datastore name for xsi-dir?

I'm trying our first remote backup using the --host and the install directory for the remote version of xsibackup seems to be hard coded to "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir".   

We use the datastore naming convention of "/vmfs/volumes/hostname_datastore1" so it's giving an error when it's creating the directory.

Is there a way to specify the remote install directory?

Thanks

Todd

#2 2017-08-29 20:17:36

bheide

Re: Backup remote server - way to specify datastore name for xsi-dir?

I had the same issue, using one standalone ESXi server to start all xsibackup jobs. Most of them run on remote ESXi hosts (which are part of a vSphere Essentials cluster but that doesn't really matter).

For quite some time now, xsibackup-pro loads additional code files in its own directory with the .inc extension. I'm using this feature to set the xsidefaultpath depending on the mode of operation (local or remote execution). On the machine starting all the remote jobs I've created a file called path.inc in the xsibackup directory. The content of the file looks like that:

if [ ! -z "$host" ]
then
  if [ "$host" = "remotehost1" ]
  then
    xsidefaultpath="/vmfs/volumes/remotehost1_datastore1/xsi-dir"
  fi
  if [ "$host" = "remotehost2" ]
  then
    xsidefaultpath="/vmfs/volumes/remotehost2_datastore1/xsi-dir"
  fi
else
  xsidefaultpath="/vmfs/volumes/localhost_datastore1/xsi-dir"
fi

I've also created path.inc files on all the remote hosts which just set the xsidefaultpath to the directory on this particular host.

Hope that helps,
Bernhard

#3 2017-08-30 11:04:24

admin
Administrator

Re: Backup remote server - way to specify datastore name for xsi-dir?

Thank you Bernhard.

Yes, that is a very convenient solution that allows to set an xsidefaultpath variable per host, per subdomain or any other scriptable pattern. We offer this solution, and many other advanced customizations to our enterprise users.

If you use the .inc source file approach, your customization will work when you upgrade to any new version and you won't need to modify the xsibackup source each time.

Board footer