©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-29 23:57:27

Tzvia

Deleting old backups

I am using the current free version of XSIBackup.  Only thing it isn't doing that I think it should be, is deleting old backups when the backup drive is full.  I'm using ESXI 6.7 Update 1.  At first, I was using a date mask which produced folders named: 20190901090001, for example, with the standard datemask in xsiopts.  As a test, I changed the datedirmask in xsiopts to "datedirmask="20[1-3][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]"".  With the example job below, I get folders named like this: "20190922".  I think it should be deleting the oldest backup when the drive doesn't have enough room, assuming the free version does this (as it used to before the versions that use jobs files, when it used the 'one liner' backup line that did delete the old backups with the 'date-dir=yes' default format).  Or am I missing something...  Thanks for the help.

"/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup" \
--backup-prog=vmkfstools \
--backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/Weekday_Backup/BACKUPS/$( date +%Y%m%d ) \
--backup-type=Custom \
--backup-how=Hot \
--backup-vms="Godzilla,Daikaiju,ghidrah,BARUGON" \
--remote-xsipath=/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir \
--backup-id=002 \
--description="vmkfstools weekday backup of VMs" \
--exec=yes >> "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/var/logs/xsibackup.log" 2>&1

#2 2019-10-01 13:40:18

admin
Administrator

Re: Deleting old backups

We don't recommend that you change the datedirmask variable, is there some reason why you should?
Use the --backup-room argument as needed, you will find it in the [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html]Man page[/url]

#3 2019-10-02 03:43:40

Tzvia

Re: Deleting old backups

Thanks for the suggestion on using --backup-room.  I had used it before and it didn't seem to help so I jettisoned it to see if it made any difference.
I had changed datedirmask as another test so I am setting it back and trying --backup-room again.  Thanks.

Board footer