©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-23 14:58:42

AlexV

rsync compression issue ?

Hello,
Case 1: I am using your free xsibackup solution v6.0.7 on an ESX v6.0 to an ESX v6.0 for a year and i am very satisfied of it.
Case 2: Now i have to backup a second ESX v6.5 with free xsibackup v9.1.9 to an ESX v6.0 but i have an issue.

First, when the target is not local, man page tells me xsibackup uses rsync, while if i do not precise in the command "--backup-prog:rsync" it uses vmkfstools in case 2.
I don't know what am i doing wrong because in case 1, i do not use the --backup-prog option and i uses rsync to my remote backup esx site.

Second, when i use "--backup-prog:rsync", in the mail i receive at the end of the job, i can see "(no compression") whereas in case 1 it is not present.

The errors i have are no left space on device but i have already dedicated 500Go for only less than 300Go of VMS to backup ( according to the size your mail mentionned ).

I guess the issue is linked to the " no compression ".

I have read many many post of your blog and i do not find the solution to my problem, when i run my command with "--test-mode=true" option, evrything is fine so i can guess there is no problem with my configuration.

I hope i gave you enough details, thank you very much in advance,
Best

#2 2017-08-23 15:30:41

admin
Administrator

Re: rsync compression issue ?

XSIBackup, as everything, evolves over time. Older versions assumed that any "over IP" backup should be handled by Rsync, as there wasn't any other --backup-prog capable of doing so. In newer versions there's more than one program that can handle IP backups and thusly, you are now required to especify the backup program. There can be some instructions refering to older versions in the man page, we'll check the texts.

Compression:

--backup-prog:rsync => No compression
--backup-prog:rsync:z => Compression enabled

Older versions didn't have the option to compress Rsync data.

--test-mode=true just allows you to test e-mail sumission, it doesn't really check anything else.

#3 2017-08-26 13:22:08

AlexV

Re: rsync compression issue ?

Hello,

I have updated my cron file with your suggestions.
Now the first copy has ended and everything is working fine!

Thank you very much!
Best

Board footer