©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-10 19:24:15

cuchillo

SEGFAULT condition was trapped

I'm trying to ./xsibackup --add-key root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:22 from a Debian to an ESXi and get "SEGFAULT condition was trapped". It do work in the other way (from ESXi to Debian). I have installed OpenSSH Server on Debian.

#2 2019-08-10 19:56:23

cuchillo

Re: SEGFAULT condition was trapped

UPDATE: "SEGFAULT condition was trapped" occurs at each execution regardless of the command. XSIBackup does not execute any commands in Debian and always returns the error "SEGFAULT condition was trapped". I imagine that something is missing in Debian or that it is a security problem but I have no idea what to do.

#3 2019-08-11 10:28:31

admin
Administrator

Add the key manually.
We don't announce XSIBackup to be compatible with any Linux distro out of the box. Our set of reference distros, the ones we do test Linux functionaly on is: RHEL, CentOS, Fedora and with a high probabilily any derivative distro, unless it has diverged too much.

#4 2019-08-12 16:40:03

cuchillo

I will use XSIBackup to backup ESXi VMs... the reason because I use a Linux distri is that the PDF says "the ESXi VMFS file system has around 130.000 possible inodes, thus it is not very convenient to store deduplicated backups... we recommend that you use XFS or ext4". I cant mount an ext4 FS on ESXi... so I assumed that a linux installation with OpenSSH is what I need. Do you know any way to mount an ext4 FS at ESXi? Do I need to use an NFS system based on ext4?

Sorry for the confussion

#5 2019-08-13 10:16:46

admin
Administrator

Well, that's right, Linux file systems (ext4, XFS) are much more suitable to host deduplicated backups than VMFS, which has been mainly thought to do the opposite, namely host huge virtual disk files.

Nonetheless to use a Linux OS as the target of your backups you would add the public key in the ESXi box to the Linux host, not the other way around, which is what you are trying to accomplish.

On addition, ff you use CentOS, RHEL, Fedora, you will have the advantage of being using an OS which has previously been tested by us.

#6 2019-08-28 01:18:43

Tin-Man

I'm getting this SEGFAULT as well, however I am backing up from ESXi to a Synology. The synology is mounted in ESXi as a an NFS Volume. Do I still need to somehow add a key to my Synology? I wouldn't think so because the connection to the synology is already established, XSI should be able to just treat it like a local volume no?

#7 2019-08-28 01:35:52

Tin-Man

Nevermind, figured it out.  So one thing you guys might want to clarify in your documentation regarding the source when using a directory format /vmfs/volumes/VOLNAME/FolderName/VMName is that if this format is used, XSI Datacenter will search for a vmx file in the directory in order to determine what VM to backup.  I was pointing my directory to the root of the VMs folder hoping that it will backup all the VMs without having to list them out as I would with the "VMs(...)" format. Which brings me to my next question, how do I set XSI to backup all VMs on the host without specifying each one? VMs get moved around and added and deleted all the time, having to modify the backup every time there is a change would be irritating to say the least.

Board footer