©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-10 10:21:08

menk

Xsi Backup Trial

Good Morning,
i'd like use xsibackup-pro in production environment, but first i want try trial version.
I download it and i try to configure backup of 2 node (Vcenter is present).
i can't backup second node with --host=  parameter, i think the problem is license limitation of the trial version (i use Virtual Machine Test < 10gb on the first and second node).
Is it correct??
if i buy a full license of xsibackup-pro, i have a full license of xdiff (aka i can use it on all node i have) ???
thanks.

Luca

#2 2017-08-10 14:05:09

admin
Administrator

Re: Xsi Backup Trial

Hello Luca, this question is a bit unprecise, but I'll try to offer you an answer.

[https://33hops.com/xsidiff-vmware-esxi-file-replication.html]XSIDiff[/url] being unlicensed won't be a problem if you copy -flat.vmdk disks below or equal to 10 gb.

Yes, if you buy [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-pro-vmware-esxi-backup.html]XSIBACKUP-PRO[/url] you can use it in up to 20 different hosts via the [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#manhost]--host[/url] argument, we are currently issuing as many XSIDiff licenses as you need to operate on 20 hosts from one master server.

#3 2017-08-10 14:18:29

menk

ok, i understand.
my goal is to succesfully setup something like this:
https://33hops.com/xsibackup-pro-onedif … olicy.html
but i'd like use a NFS datastore mount on the same server for store differential backup with historic set.
you think is possible???

#4 2017-08-10 16:11:16

admin
Administrator

Yes, of course, it's quite simple. You just need to set up a backup job that makes a full backup and then chain it to a second job that does an XSITools archival.

Take on account in any case, that the posed example does the [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-pro-onediff.html]OneDiff[/url] backup over IP to a second server really fast, by performing a differential copy, afterwords the second job uses the disk throughput, CPU and RAM of the second server by copying the just mirrored VM, and thus it doesn't affect performance on the original server.

You can do everything in the same server, but you will be copying data while the guests are active. You will still be able to use your servers while being backed up, but depending on the controller you have, its configuration, the number of users connected and the speed of the disks you are using, you might notice a decrease in speed, whereas if you mirror to a second server first and then perform an XSITools backup on the mirror, the original server won't notice the load.

#5 2017-08-10 16:19:30

menk

i'm not sure to understand.
i set a full backup of the virtual machine, and in second job chained i set a backup of the same virtual machine???

#6 2017-08-10 16:23:56

menk

a script in cron like this???

/vmfs/volumes/esx01_sas_datastore/xsi-dir/xsibackup backupId=00 --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/fas01_nfs_datastore/backup --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="ubuntu1,ubuntu2,ubuntu3,ubuntu4,ubuntu5" --backup-room=150 --mail-from=my@email.me --mail-to=my@email.me --smtp-srv=mysmtp --smtp-port=25 --smtp-usr=user --smtp-pwd=password --subject="Esx01 Report" --time="Thu 20:45"  --on-success="backupid->01" --on-error="backupid->01"

/vmfs/volumes/esx01_sas_datastore/xsi-dir/xsibackup backupId=01 --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/fas01_nfs_datastore/backup/history --backup-type=custom --backup-prog=xsitools --backup-vms="ubuntu1,ubuntu2,ubuntu3,ubuntu4,ubuntu5" --backup-room=150 --mail-from=my@email.me --mail-to=my@email.me --smtp-srv=mysmtp --smtp-port=25 --smtp-usr=user --smtp-pwd=password --subject="Esx01 Report-xsi-tools" "

Last edited by menk (2017-08-10 16:24:26)

#7 2017-08-10 17:10:13

admin
Administrator

I will try to explain myself better from a different perspective.

The article you read poses a very interesting combination of [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-pro-onediff.html]OneDiff[/url] and [https://33hops.com/xsitools-vmfs-deduplication.html]XSITools[/url], which is only possible if you use two different servers.

1 - You make a OneDiff backup over IP to a secondary server. Provided that you already made the first initial full backup, the OneDiff cycle will take just the time to copy the diff data and send the e-mail. This will generate a light load on the server being backed up, namely, your production server.

2 - Once the OneDiff backup job has finished, you have a mirrror copy of your original VM in a second server with an _XSIBAK extension. Here you run the XSITools backup, which makes the archive of the data into a deduplicated repository. As the backup is being made from the mirror copy, your production server will not be affected by the XSITools backup, which will make a full copy of the server.

This is the post you mentioned in your original question: "my goal is to succesfully setup something like this"

The thing is that you cannot fully achieve what is explained in the post, cause you say you only have one server available. Thus, you can make a full backup and afterwards an XSITools backup, but it will only be similar to what is explained, and your unique server will notice the load while the backups are in progress.

The backup jobs you posted are basically O.K.

NOTE:

You don't need to parse all e-mail options all the time

--mail-from=my@email.me --mail-to=my@email.me --smtp-srv=mysmtp --smtp-port=25 --smtp-usr=user --smtp-pwd=password

You can use the SMTP Server panel at conf/smtpsrvs and shorten your syntax dramatically to something like

--use-smtp=1 --mail-to=my@email.me

#8 2017-08-10 19:36:23

menk

my question is if possible to do a backup with o one nly server and have a _XSIBAK extensions Virtual Machine mount on vmware inventory, so i can do a onediff backup and then xsitools backup.
But you tell me of no.
At the moment i'm testing Xsibackup for out customers, so i have to test many backup environments.
Thanks for your support.

#9 2017-08-10 20:09:37

admin
Administrator

Yes, you can do that. You can register a OneDiff backup in the same server. The only condition is that the datastore where you mirror the VM must be different than the datastore where the VM to backup is.

You can then make a OneDiff backup of the mirrored VM, no problem.

#10 2017-08-11 04:59:48

menk

ok, take the script posted as example.
/vmfs/volumes/esx01_sas_datastore/xsi-dir/xsibackup backupId=00 --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/fas01_nfs_datastore/backup --backup-type=custom --backup-vms="ubuntu1,ubuntu2,ubuntu3,ubuntu4,ubuntu5" --backup-room=150 --mail-from=my@email.me --mail-to=my@email.me --smtp-srv=mysmtp --smtp-port=25 --smtp-usr=user --smtp-pwd=password --subject="Esx01 Report" --time="Thu 20:45"  --on-success="backupid->01" --on-error="backupid->01"
if i use --backup-prog=onediff to take differential backup, i don't have _xsibak virtual machine in the inventory; if i understand right, is because i have a Virtual Center and xsibackup don't attached virtual machine with _xsibak for preventing mac address duplicate.
now, how can i obtain the backup virtual machine attached in my inventory with _xsibackup?
after this i can use xsitools to archive and dedup the backup.
Thanks

Last edited by menk (2017-08-11 05:01:04)

#11 2017-08-11 08:54:32

admin
Administrator

[https://33hops.com/xsibackup-pro-vmware-esxi-backup.html]Download latest version 10.0.1[/url], you don't need to overwrite all files, just src/onediff. It includes a way to decide whether or not to unregister the _XSIBAK VM via the [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#options]--options=unreg-xsibak[/url]. Default option is to not unregister from v. 10.0.1. The duplicate MAC alarm is very anoying, but you can disable it very easily:

1 - Log in to vCenter Server using the vSphere Client, go to the Hosts and Clusters view and click the vCenter Server instance.
Select the Management tab > Alarm Definitions.
2 - Search for VM MAC in search window.
3 - Edit the VM MAC Conflict alarm.
4 - Deselect Enable this alarm.
5 - Click Finish.

This will only affect application level duplicate MAC alarms, not at the OS level. This alarm should probably have never been activated by default from part of VMWare.

Board footer