©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-02 16:52:08

ma2white

OneDiff vs XSIDiff

Hi,

I've purchased XSIBackup Pro and despite reading through all the documentation provided I am a bit lost in terms of choosing and comprehending the differences between OneDiff and XSIDiff, and combining full backups with differential or incremental.

I want to backup two large VMs (4TB and 8TB, growing slowly, with 95% static data) to local datastores. I have room in these local backup datastores for one full backup of each VM, plus some space for incremental or differential backups. I'd probably do a full backup every two weeks, and incremental/differential backups every day (provided they are fast). I don't necessarily need differential backups; incremental would do, combined with the two-week full backup cycle.

Which of these backup programs are best for what I need?
How do I achieve the two-week full backup cycle with daily incrementals/differentials? Do I need to use XSITools to deduplicate the backups?
Is there a way to speed up the full backups using one of these two backup programs?

Thanks for any feedback.
Mat

Last edited by ma2white (2019-04-02 17:14:15)

#2 2019-04-03 12:00:56

admin
Administrator

Re: OneDiff vs XSIDiff

If your backup space is a bit more than your VM size, and your VMs are 4 and 8TB, then you are very limited by your factual constraints.

- Onediff: differential, it just replicates VMs. This is not a backup method alone, as you will replicate any problem in your VM to the mirror VM.
- XSIDiff: is just a binary OneDiff uses. When used on its own is a good way to move/ copy VMs from one server to another, but not a good backup method for 4 and 8TB VMs, maybe for small ones, depending on your available backup space.
- XSITools: it's differential and it deduplicates data into its own repositories, which is the folder you will use as the --backup-point. This is probably your best bet, as it combines deduplication with differential copy.

In your case XSITools is definetely your best option, but you still depend on that additional space, which may not suffice. Combine it with --backup-room=[available space], where [available space] is expressed in GB and see how many backups you can fit in your backup datastore.

#3 2019-04-06 15:53:07

ma2white

Re: OneDiff vs XSIDiff

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I'm giving XSITools a try.

Board footer