©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-29 14:13:19

Int

option --update-cron not working

Hello,

after successfully installing a crontab with --install-cron I wanted to change the crontab.
So I modified the conf/root-crontab file to my needs and ran ./xsibackup --update-cron
But this did not update the crontab but actually tried running the backup jobs spectified in root-crontab but they all failed anyway with error like this:

Error RBAKSRV1: unable to determine the backup point location
mkdir: can't create directory '': No such file or directory
The ESXi configuration was saved to ""
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Errors detected in backup, check logs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup finished
Tip: no chained backups scheduled, set --on-success and/or --on-error arguments to chain a backup

I figured out that I could update the crontab by removing and installing it again through the GUI.

Best regards

#2 2019-03-29 15:53:19

admin
Administrator

Re: option --update-cron not working

Well, this message is clear:

Error RBAKSRV1: unable to determine the backup point location

There must be some error in your job syntax, we know nothing about it though.

#3 2019-04-03 13:24:48

Int

Well, the message may seem clear on a quick first look but is misleading here.
The error is just a follow up error of the strange things  --update-cron is doing.

The job syntax is working fine, the jobs get executed from the cron without error.

The main issue is not the error but that option  --update-cron is NOT updating the crontab.
Instead it is trying to run jobs producing this errors.

#4 2019-04-03 14:17:20

admin
Administrator

You are the sysadmin of your system, you may debug to find out why that is happening or ask somebody else to do it for you.
XSIBackup is extremely flexible, as some functionality is based in scripts, you may very well do something that produces any result.
We can debug that for you, but if it turns out to be some error from your part, we will charge for our time.

#5 2019-04-05 10:38:19

Int

Well, I am getting the feeling paying money for Xsibackup-PRO was a waste.

I am spending my time here trying to report bugs I find. Helping you to make your product better, but instead I just get cocky responses.

#6 2019-04-08 12:51:59

admin
Administrator

We aren't trying to be unpolite, but just clear. XSIBackup is not a closed featured piece of software. As stated before, it may produce any result, depending on the user actions.

We have thoroughly tested that switch and we have not been able to reproduce your issue so far. Nobody else has reported such bug either among many thousands of users.

That leads us to believe your outcome is due to some particular condition in your system. Remember that XSIBackup does not support manufacturer builds.

#7 2019-04-12 07:02:12

Int

I am running a standard VMware (6.7.0 Update 1 (Build 11675023)) not a manufacturer build.

I can provide you my config for debugging, if you want to.

I am glad we are back to a constructive conversation.
That a issue like this wasn't reported by many thousands of users doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere, it could also be that nobody else took the effort to report it.

Board footer