©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-24 08:16:21

Int

restoring many VMs with --restore-vms is a pain

Hello,

when you have to restore many VMs with --restore-vms (in my case 40) the usage method is really a pain in the b**t.
You have to select each VM manually, confirm the restore, enter the destination directory manually.
Doing this fourty times and having to wait for each restore in between is a real strain.

I tried to script it by specifying each individual backup path, but even then you have to select the VM, confirm and you cannot give a destination directory as parameter.

The XSIbackup advertisement "It's totally scriptable" does not apply here and that unfortunately makes using XSItools or other backup methods that require --restore-vms unusable for disaster recovery from my point of view.

Luckily I had a set of backups taken with XSIbackup-Free using vmkfstools before I upgraded the installation to XSIbackup-Pro and used XSItools. So I could restore them with a simple copy command overnight. Otherwise I would have sat there entering commands the whole night.

Please make --restore-vms scriptable!

Best regards

#2 2019-03-24 14:42:19

admin
Administrator

Re: restoring many VMs with --restore-vms is a pain

The restore module is a script itself, so it's indeed totally scriptable. We'll nevertheless will take this into account and supress the confirmation when used from a script. Nevertheless this is a controverted feature, so we'll add some type of command to remove the prompt for confirmation.

This is only a problem when some circumstances concur: having the need to restore a big number of VMs and using (c)XSITools. When you have some sort of regular backup, restoring is quite easy, as you have an Rsync binary inside the /bin folder.

You didn't say what type of backup you were restoring in any case.

#3 2019-03-25 09:27:40

Int

I was restoring backups made with xsibackup-pro 11.2.3 using xsitools method.

You would also need to add an option to specify the destination path to make the restore module scriptable.

#4 2019-04-03 13:37:49

Int

admin wrote:

This is only a problem when some circumstances concur: having the need to restore a big number of VMs and using (c)XSITools.

Well, these circumstances you mention here are exactly the problematic circumstances I described in my initial post and the reason I posted this.
And isn't that the reason to use xsibackup anyway? To be able to restore a big number of VMs in case of a desaster?

admin wrote:

When you have some sort of regular backup, restoring is quite easy, as you have an Rsync binary inside the /bin folder.

Could you explain this comment please?
Is using xsibackup with (c)XSITools not considered to be a regular backup?

#5 2019-04-03 14:19:08

admin
Administrator

(c)XSITools is a deduplication engine:
(c)XSIBackup Classic: deduplicate on top of VMFS

No, it's not a regular backup.

Board footer