©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-19 11:36:34

AndyHamp

Is there a better way with Pro ?

I've been investigating the extra features of Pro that I purchased a few weeks ago, over those of the free version that I've used for years and was wondering if there is a better option to my current setup.

My config is very simple:   1 ESX (free) server, that hosts 5 small VM's. Backup data is held on a Buffalo NAS.

My VM's all run on a pair of SSD drives. I perform backups to a local HDD and then use rsync to copy the files to the NAS,

ie,

./Rsync -av /vmfs/volumes/553ba167-f1387487-4010-6c0b8404f313/Backups rsync://192.168.1.222/array1_Backup/VMS

This works fine but is very slow.

Is there a better way to do this ? Could xsidiff help me ?

Thanks ... Andy

#2 2019-03-19 18:26:45

admin
Administrator

Re: Is there a better way with Pro ?

Yes, sure.

Rsync depends on the cyphers of the SSH tunnel, which in turn create a lot of overhead in the CPU. Both ends of the Rsync protocol must have fast CPUs to handle this rapidly. As this kind of NAS devices rely on "not so fast" CPUs, you end up with a thin stream of data.

In your case, you seem to be using plain Rsync, no SSH tunnel, still your NAS CPU is probably not too powerful and the transfer suffers from that.

You can attach your NAS as a datastore, or if the NAS is in a remote site, you can use (c)XSITools over IP, as it jumps over zeroed zones, which Rsync does not, it will save you a lot of time. On top of that it's differential, so already existing blocks will not be copied over the WAN. But you need full control of the NAS OS, and it needs to be Linux to be able to use (c)XSITools directly.

Board footer