©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-18 17:28:33

bbach

system disk CID has changed after booting up backup

I'm having an issue where after a full backup is complete, if I spin it up to verify that it worked properly on the target esxi server then run a backup again the flat vmdk file appears to be doing a full backup.  When the backup runs I get the following:

The system disk CID has changed, OneDiff backup will be initialized and a full backup made...

The command I am running is:

./xsibackup --backup-point="**ip and location of backup server**" --backup-type=custom --mail-to=my@email --use-smtp=1 --b
ackup-prog=onediff --backup-vms="servername"

All I did was power on the backup, then power it off.  When booting up the server vmware asks if it's been moved or copied.  I have tried both and the behavior is the same.

Both the host and target are running the free version of ESXI 6.5.0 (Build 4887370).  I am running XSIBACKUP-FREE 11.0.1

Last edited by bbach (2019-02-18 17:30:16)

#2 2019-02-18 19:38:02

admin
Administrator

Re: system disk CID has changed after booting up backup

That is normal behaviour as explained in the (c)OneDiff page: Onediff feature page
Please, read documents before asking for help.

If you switch on the remote VM the CID will change and the sync will be lost.
Clone the remote mirror and switch it on if you want to check it works.

#3 2019-02-18 19:55:26

bbach

Must've missed that in the documentation.  Thanks!

From the page:

"Once the first full backup is made, XSIBACKUP-PRO will add the cloned VM to the inventory as YOURORIGINALVM_XSIBAK and this new automatically generated VM will be ready to be run by just starting it up. Nevertheless you should not start this VM unless you want it to replace the original or reset the OneDiff differential backups chain, as the .vmdk CIDs will change and the following time you run your OneDiff job this fact will be detected and XSIBACKUP-PRO will make an initial full backup restarting the process. If you feel curious and you want to test your piled backups are consistent, simply copy the full folder somewhere else, add the copy to the ESXi inventory and delete it after you have satisfied your curiosity. Take on account that the first time you initiate a OneDiff backup all snapshots will be removed, thus if you want a backup that can be compatible with test VMs or VMs that need to keep pre-existing snapshots, do not use OneDiff as your --backup-prog, leave this parameter unset and make a full backup of those VMs instead. OneDiff has been designed to backup big production VMs, not to be compatible wih test environments. "

#4 2019-02-18 21:16:04

bbach

After doing some initial testing, I believe you can take a snapshot->boot up the backup VM->revert to the snapshot and then the CIDs will match and the backup will run as an incremental rather than a full.

#5 2019-02-18 23:09:12

admin
Administrator

Yes, that is perfectly feasible, just as long as you discard the test snapshot instead of deleting it.

Board footer