©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-15 10:25:43

majales

Xsibackup on vcenter managed ESXi machinines

I'm using xsibackup free about 1,5 years now, but I had always use it on single ESXi machines. Now I'd like to try it on vcenter managed ESXi machines, but I'm unable to log to ESXi server locally, because ssh port is locked. I'm not vcenter administrator, but my account has admin rights. What I'm missing here? I've tried to google answer, but haven't find anything relevant about it. Please advice.

#2 2017-07-16 14:20:16

admin
Administrator

Re: Xsibackup on vcenter managed ESXi machinines

You do need SSH Access to the host to use XSIBackup

#3 2017-07-16 23:07:34

majales

I know I need ssh access, but how can I get it when ESXi machine is "taken" by Vcenter? Is there any settings in Vcenter I can use to regain ssh access and still let ESXi machine be part of Vcenter managed servers?

#4 2017-07-17 16:11:56

admin
Administrator

I think you should pose that question in the VMWare ESXi Community Forum, it is a general ESXi/ vCenter question.

#5 2017-08-27 20:13:25

benjamin

majales,

On my side I am using vcenter (essential version) which is managing my two esxi hosts with xsibackup without any problems.
On my esxi hosts I have well activated ssh and esxi shell (have you well activated ssh on your esxi hosts directly ?).

From my experience there is no locking back of SSH access to hosts once "taken" by with vcenter.
Double check fact that your esxi hosts still have the ssh access allowed, perhaps your new "vcenter administrator" has disable them.

Just for your additional info about using xsibackup with vcenter :

Once taken by vcenter the problem with xsibackup is about the naming of datastores as vcenter do not allow same names on local datastores of hosts.

For example if you have local datastore called "RAID" on both esxi hosts.
Once managed by vcenter the local datastores name will be "RAID" for first esxi AND for second it will be automatically named to "RAID1".

So just be aware about it too, you may need to change it in your scripts parameters :

For first esxi host :
xsidefaultpath="/vmfs/volumes/RAID/xsibackup"

For second esxi host :
xsidefaultpath="/vmfs/volumes/RAID1/xsibackup"

Hope it may help.

#6 2017-08-28 12:09:31

admin
Administrator

Thank you Benjamin.

One of the main concerns when using XSIBackup under vCenter is making sure vCenter does not move your VMs around if you are using vMotion.

You can prevent that by setting some rules in your vCenter or by using XSIBackup-Pro helper argument [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#disablevmotion]/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#disablevmotion[/url]

Board footer