©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-02 17:15:52

bellocarico

backing up on external rsync system issue

I have a linux box I'd like to back up my VM into.

When I try to specify the backup-point in the form user@address:22:/home/mysuer the script complain about the user@ not bein a hostname.

[root@BLUE:/vmfs/volumes/53bfff9d-7c46de0d-9c45-00e081d04c38/xsi-dir] cat backup_lan.sh
./xsibackup --backup-point="backupuser@cisono-2016:22:/media/2TB/home/cisono/vmware/Centos7" --backup-type="custom" --backup-vms="Centos7" --date-dir=yes --backup-prog=rsync

[root@BLUE:/vmfs/volumes/53bfff9d-7c46de0d-9c45-00e081d04c38/xsi-dir] ./backup_lan.sh

#####################################################################################
#                                                                                   #
#  (c) XSIBACKUP-FREE 9.0.2 | Backup for (c) VMWARE ESXi Hypervisor by 33hops.com   #
#                                                                                   #
#####################################################################################

XSIBackup PID: 110657                                        BLUE
Sun, 02 Jul 2017 17:13:00 +0000                       IPv4: 10.10.9.98/255.255.255.0
VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-5310538                   (c) Rsync 3.1.0 as opt. dependency

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
getaddrinfo() for "backupuser@cisono-2016" failed (-2: Name or service not known)
The --backup-point is not a directory and can't be evaluated as a server either
backupuser@cisono-2016 can't be evaluated as an IPv4 address

Last edited by bellocarico (2017-07-02 20:38:27)

#2 2017-07-03 16:57:21

admin
Administrator

Re: backing up on external rsync system issue

You cannot espeficy a username in the --backup-point argument by now.
Compatibility with other *NIX systems has been introduced only in the latest versions of XSIBackup and support by now is limited to the implicit user you are logged in at the ESXi system, that due to the nature of ESXi can only be root or another user with almost the same set of permissions.

A workaround by now would be creating a user with the needed permissions to execute XSIBackup successfully (as commented above only a user with a full set of permissions could work), and then run XSIBackup under that user's security context. XSIBackup would then use that user to authenticate against the remote system.

#3 2017-07-03 19:44:00

bellocarico

admin wrote:

You cannot espeficy a username in the --backup-point argument by now.
Compatibility with other *NIX systems has been introduced only in the latest versions of XSIBackup and support by now is limited to the implicit user you are logged in at the ESXi system. Due to the nature of ESXi, only the root user or other user with basically the same set of permissions would be able to run all XSIBackup commands.

A workaround by now would be creating a user with the needed permissions to execute XSIBackup successfully (as commented above only a user with a full set of permissions could work), and then run XSIBackup under that user's security context. XSIBackup would then use that user to authenticate against the remote system.

Ok thanks. I suppose a minor modification to the core xsibackup script (while parsing the --backup-point) would do the trick, but I appreciate this is not available right now.

Thank for the answer!

#4 2017-07-03 20:58:23

admin
Administrator

On top of that, only the root user would have the appropiate set of permissions needed to add a key to the remote system or restart services, thus using a regular user would only be possible to copy data, just that.

Board footer