©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-10 11:00:44

chc-pr

Backup Error makes no sense.

When I try to run a backup using (cut and pasted after pressing ctrl-C to kill the job)

[root@VMstor:~] --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/NFS0/xsibaks/VMstorBAKs/LiveVMs \
> --backup-type=custom \
> --backup-vms=mail2-Prod-2017-07-28 \
> --date-dir=no \
> --snapshot=doquiesce \
> --smtp-srv=smtp.gmail.com \
> --smtp-port=465 \
> --mail-from=usr@gmail.com \
> --mail-to=me@my.domain \
> --smtp-usr=usr@gmail.com \
> --smtp-pwd="validatedPWD"
-sh: --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/NFS0/xsibaks/VMstorBAKs/LiveVMs: not found
[root@VMstor:~] --test-mode=true
-sh: --test-mode=true: not found
[root@VMstor:~]

I get

###############################################################################
#
#  (c) XSIBACKUP-FREE 11.0.1 | Backup for (c) VMWARE ESXi Hypervisor by 33hops.com
#
###################################################################################

XSIBackup PID:          1054470                                                VMstor.pchmt.net
Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:52:36 +0000                                 IPv4: 172.16.1.31/255.255.255.0
VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-4887370                              (c) Rsync 3.1.0 as opt. dependency
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup Id:              unknown                       Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alert: crontab is not installed for user root
ADVICE: no SSD disks, please consider adding an SSD cache disk to improve performance
sh: rsync: unknown operand
Backup user is: root
The --backup-point string is a mandatory value
You have to set the variable --backup-type to some of the values described in the help
E-mail Warnings
The e-mail report will not be sent because of the followig reasons:
The --mail-from string has not been set
The --smtp-srv string has not been set
The --smtp-port string has not been set
The --smtp-usr string has not been set, you need --smtp-usr if --smtp-auth is other than -none-
The --smtp-pwd string has not been set, you need --smtp-pwd if --smtp-auth is other than -none-
Error JOBSKIP1: the backup job will be skipped because some mandatory values are missing
Getting list of all VMs...

But here is the thing ...
The backup point is Valid. I can see it from the XSI control page, I can CD to that directory, I can add a directory from the command line, I can delete that directory using the web interface.

Further, I can manually run a CLI clone on the target VM to that backup-point

Similarly, the email settings are valid as I have successfully tested the same thing (also cut and pasted) using different test hardware.

Perplexed and confused.

Any ideas?

I am planning on getting the professional version but I want to resolve this (and do some further tests) before doing so. Very weird.

#2 2018-12-10 12:59:31

admin
Administrator

Re: Backup Error makes no sense.

When you cut and paste it is very common that characters get substitued by some other equivalent in some other page code. Try to input the data manually, or develop your skills as cutpaster. You also seem to be missing some backslashes "\" at some line ends.

#3 2018-12-10 13:48:10

chc-pr

Thank's for the information ... I was already aware of the cut and paste issue - but it was worth reminding me. It did help me track down the problem (although it was not anything you actually suggested directly) as it caused me to look at the lines again more carefully.

It seems the backup-point MUST be enclosed in quotes. I must have removed them at some point and forgotten.

#4 2018-12-10 15:14:43

admin
Administrator

You don't need to enclose the --backup-point in double quotes

#5 2018-12-10 15:18:26

chc-pr

Well, it was the last change I tried (sequentially) and it was the one which made it work ...

Board footer