©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-12 13:54:10

HigH_HawK

Error NOVM2BAK: no VMs to backup

Hi,

I setup the XSIBackup Free version yesterday and tried a dry run as well as the --run-backup=001 which worked perfectly fine. After that I setup the Cron, so that it does the backups every night at 5 o'clock.

This morning I noticed that I didn't get any mail from the backup, which I got yesterday and checked again. I found out, that when running the backup again via: /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/jobs/001 or /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup --run-backup=001 it comes up with the following:

###############################################################################
#
#  (c) XSIBACKUP-FREE 11.0.1 | Backup for (c) VMWARE ESXi Hypervisor by 33hops.com
#
###################################################################################

NOTICE: (c) XSIBackup kills any user launched jobs, make sure you don't overlap manual jobs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: (c) XSIBackup-Pro 11.0.3 is available to download
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XSIBackup PID:            73891                                                  host-xxxx
Fri, 12 Oct 2018 13:39:15 +0000                                   IPv4: xxxx/xxxx
VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-8294253                              (c) Rsync 3.1.0 as opt. dependency
Backup Id:                  001                       Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Backup user is: root
Backup program is: vmkfstools
--backup-point found at /vmfs/volumes/XSIBackup/VM-Backup/20181000000000 (filesystem: NFS)
The backup room has been limited to 600 gb.
Getting list of all VMs...
18     dev-app-1        [datastore1] dev-app-1/dev-app-1.vmx             centos7_64Guest    vmx-13
20     dev-db-1         [datastore1] dev-db-1/dev-db-1.vmx               centos7_64Guest    vmx-13
24     dev-gfs-docker   [datastore1] dev-gfs-docker/dev-gfs-docker.vmx   centos7_64Guest    vmx-13
5      macos-2          [datastore1] macos-2/macos-2.vmx                 darwin16_64Guest   vmx-13
Error NOVM2BAK: no VMs to backup

I find it strange, that it is listing the VMs first and then comes back and says "Error NOVM2BAK: no VMs to backup"??

This is how my job file (001) looks like: (removed the email for security reasons)

# Office-LE ESXi Daily Backup Script

"/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup" \
--backup-prog=vmkfstools \
--backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/XSIBackup/VM-Backup/$( date +%Y%m'00000000' ) \
--backup-type=Running \
--backup-how=Hot \
--use-smtp=1 \
--mail-to=xxx@xxxxx.com \
--subject=[Office-LE]_VMware_Backup_-_vm-le1 \
--backup-id=001 \
--backup-room=600 \
--exec=yes >> "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/var/logs/xsibackup.log"

I even rebooted the machine just to make sure, everything is fresh and no jobs are overlaping (I know I could've check via ps -c but I wanted to make pretty sure).

What could the error be?

#2 2018-10-12 15:34:57

admin
Administrator

Re: Error NOVM2BAK: no VMs to backup

Are you sure there's at least one VM running?
Try to use the combination of --backup-type=custom --backup-vms=your,list,of,comma,delimited,VMs

#3 2018-10-12 15:56:12

HigH_HawK

This is so embarrassing sad I just checked the VMs on the ESXi and noticed that they weren't running. Just started them and tried the command again and it is working now. Just have to see, if the Cron is running this night.

I keep the "custom" backup-type in mind for testing purposes but wouldn't use it in production, since I really only want to backup the running ones, since the stopped once only need one backup.

Thanks a heap for your efforts in making this software and for your quick help!

Have a good weekend

#4 2018-10-12 16:13:47

admin
Administrator

No worries, every experienced sys admin could write books on that subject wink

Board footer