©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-15 11:06:16

derilium

Installed XSIBackup 11.0.2 on a blank ESXI server with a few issues

Have installed the pro version on a clean ESXI 6.5 server, have run through the GUI and configured the job, cron etc
When moving through the gui some errors are thrown up (something about eval...it doesnt stay up long enough to read)
The job didn't fire last night and also there is nothing in the log to say there was a problem.

I'm probably missing something here, the earlier versions (Version 9+)seem to just work upon install, change of config file  and a reboot of the server, this version seems to be a bit of a struggle.

I have been really impressed with the software over the years and really commend the guys for making it

rob

#2 2018-08-15 11:28:18

admin
Administrator

Re: Installed XSIBackup 11.0.2 on a blank ESXI server with a few issues

Well, you shouldn't be getting any errors. How blank is your ESXi host?, If you have no VMs so far, you may be getting errors due to empty lists, we'll improve that in future GUI versions with warning messages.

To get the details of the errors, just Ctrl+C on the subsequent screen, scroll up and send us the details.

#3 2018-08-16 07:51:51

derilium

Sorry my fault, should have been more clear...the VM host has VM's on it, its just never had xsi-backup on it. it was cleanly built 2 days ago using a Dell ESXI image, once the manual backup is done will run through and get the errors

#4 2018-08-16 08:36:18

admin
Administrator

Never use custom manufacturer builds, they are basically just marketing tools and commercial traps, install VMWare ESXi instead.

#5 2018-08-16 09:38:18

derilium

Now that i never knew, i've always install the specific manufacturer build as it comes with all the correct drivers, vibs etc. i will make a note of that

#6 2018-08-16 18:07:59

admin
Administrator

Being a DELL server, the official VMWare build will have all drivers too.
We can't be sure whether the custom build is the culprit, but avoiding them is always a good thing to do. We have found manufacturers in general modify ESXi to their own advantage, which is, on the other side, the most predictable thing nowadays. DELL is a serious manufacturer, we like their hardware much more than HP per instance. Nevertheless those kind of business practices, like modifying an OS to give some brand an advantage, or plainly introducing some software to slow down things (remember latests Apple scandals) has reached the status of being "normal".

In case you still have problems, please, go though this post where we have covered troubleshooting ESXi's cron in depth.

(c)XSIBackup Classic: troubleshooting the (c)ESXi cron

Board footer