©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-09 19:17:05

cmariotti

XSI Running Multiple Times overlapped backups

I have an ESXI box with dual SSD Mirrored along with 2 x 2TB HDDs that I run alternating backups to... about a month ago, I have the dual SSD drives fail and required replacing, so I moved the important VM backups to another box and got them working. The few remaining VMs I still wanted to run on that box and wait for the SSD drives to be replaced over the coming weeks... so I moved a copy of the backups to another directory and ran the VMs from there without issue.

My XSI backup setup was on the failed SSD, so I downloaded the latest version of XSIBackup-Pro, installed it on one of the HDD and proceeded to use the SSH GUI to configure it... I thought I had it setup correctly but it seemed to backup multiple times at the same time... the log file would have a mixture of the percentage progress... the log file had overlap in it.

Anyways, I thought I uninstalled and reinstalled properly, I thought I followed the guide on troubleshooting... but it seems to still be happening... failed sha1 mismatches, etc...

Any idea of what I am doing wrong? I'm thinking maybe something is still sticking around from the original XSI installation that is kicking off duplicate backups...

I just want it to run overnight once per day.
* 4 * * * "/vmfs/volumes/XVM01-XDataStoreHDD-01/xsi-dir/jobs/V1HD3"

#min hour day mon dow command
1    1    *   *   *   /sbin/tmpwatch.py
1    *    *   *   *   /sbin/auto-backup.sh
0    *    *   *   *   /usr/lib/vmware/vmksummary/log-heartbeat.py
*/5  *    *   *   *   /bin/hostd-probe.sh ++group=host/vim/vmvisor/hostd-probe/stats/sh
00   1    *   *   *   localcli storage core device purge
* 4 * * * "/vmfs/volumes/XVM01-XDataStoreHDD-01/xsi-dir/jobs/V1HD3" # Added by XSIBackup

Any advice?

#2 2018-08-10 11:02:29

admin
Administrator

Re: XSI Running Multiple Times overlapped backups

You are missing the minutes, this should be:

0 4 * * * "/vmfs/volumes/XVM01-XDataStoreHDD-01/xsi-dir/jobs/V1HD3" # Added by XSIBackup

To start at 04:00 o'clock.

In case you encounter some further problems.
Make a backup of your configuration files (smtpsrvs and /jobs folder mainly) and RSA key pair.
Remove everything. Make sure that you change the xsi-dir installation path to yours, in the example it is /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir, the other files have a fixed path.

rm –rf /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir;chmod 0700 /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root;sed -i '/-dir\/jobs/d' /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root;sed -i '/cron-init/d' /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh

Reinstall with the script from the user area and restore the smtpsrvs file and jobs folder, then re-schedule your backups, making sure that you set the hour and minutes.

Board footer