©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-29 10:32:45

bluesnow

Remove datestamp from backup directory

Hi,

I've just installed version 11.0.1 FREE and trying to config to make it work from cron. It seems to all work well, but the backup always save on a datestamp directory format, and creates a "data" directory on same level. My jobs 001 is:

"/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup" \
--time="Sat 6:00" \
--date-dir=no \
--backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/BACKUP" \
--backup-type=custom \
--backup-vms="GRX16" \
--exec=yes

The result is 2 directories. which one with "20180729...." format and another one "data". In old version that not happens, is there some way to fix that?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2018-07-30 10:43:22

admin
Administrator

Re: Remove datestamp from backup directory

You are missing the --backup-prog argument, which is fundamental. Please do read the programs documentation, especially what backup programs are available, how to use them and what you can expect from them:

https://33hops.com/xsibackup-using-backup-programs.html

You are using the --time argument, which is useless from version 11.0.0.
You do not need the --date-dir=no argument, just skip it.

(c)XSIBackup Classic: changes in version 11.0.0

By what you are describing, you are backing up using (c)XSITools, but you are not able to recognize what you describe, which is a repository with the timestamped folders containing the hash tables.

If you just want to use XSIBackup to perform quick backups and you are not interested in delving into its possibilities, then use a simple backup using Vmkfstools. It's quick and easy

"/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir/xsibackup" \
--backup-prog="Vmkfstools" \
--backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/BACKUP" \
--backup-how=Hot \
--backup-type=custom \
--backup-vms="GRX16" \
--mail-to=me@myself.com \
--use-smtp=1 \
--exec=yes >> "/vmfs/volumes/backup/xsi-dir/var/logs/xsibackup.log"

If on the other hand, you want to take advantage of deduplication, backups over IP, differential backups, etc...
Then, you will need to read a bit more. XSIBackup is quite straight, it's all based in command line parameters, you don't need to edit complex configuration files or study obscure concepts, but you need at least to know what each command means and what you can expect from it.

#3 2018-08-01 10:03:04

bluesnow

Re: Remove datestamp from backup directory

Thank you for your time and explanation.

I automatically suppose that if the script works directly in command line, it'll work on crontab. I'll try in the weekend to see if works with the correct parameters.

Thanks!

Board footer