©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-28 15:31:55

khodorb

Backup Restore using the Free version!!

Hi,

i was testing the free version of XSIBackup and i was wondering how we can restore the backup using the free version and on second hand does XSI support deletion of previous backup before running a new one

Thank you,

#2 2018-05-28 16:01:26

admin
Administrator

Re: Backup Restore using the Free version!!

That depends on the type of backup you want to restore:

- (c)OneDiff, Vmkfstools and Rsync generate full VMs that can be used directly from the backup location. If you want to use them some other datastore or server, just move the VM folder and re-register them at the desired server.

- (c)XSITools and Borg deduplicated backups need to be restored from their respective repositories, for wich you will need XSIBACKUP-PRO restore module. In case of Borg, you could restore the backups manually too: extract the backup file, rename it to .tar and untar it.

#3 2018-05-28 16:31:59

khodorb

HI,

if i perform a new backup on the destination folder of a previous backup, does this overwrite the previous once and replace all the files in the destination directory?

Thank you,

#4 2018-05-29 10:48:30

admin
Administrator

That depends on if you use the [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#datedir]--date-dir[/url] argument, a [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-pro-dynamically-naming.html]dynamic named resource[/url] or not.

In any case it's not very wise to just overwrite the previous backup. That is in fact very close to not having a backup.

#5 2018-05-29 13:30:51

khodorb

ok, to clarify this again, lets say i schedule a cron job that back the VM from monday to sunday under /backup/Monday , /backup/Tuesday/ ... in this case when the cron job runs the next weeks does it overwrite the previous week backup? is it safe to do that that this affect the files being backed up, because the backup that i am looking for should cover maximum a week delay, so in this case applying does this scenario works ?

#6 2018-05-29 14:12:53

admin
Administrator

You should be able to answer yourself.
If you store to a folder called Monday, what will happen next Monday?, it's obvious.
Is it safe?, well that depends on your own requirements. If you overwrite Monday's backup next Monday: would it be safe for you to have Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday backups?
Design you backup schedule following your own requirements.

Board footer