©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-07 15:15:01

mvfid

Why dedicated NAS xsi backup server?

Hello,

I'm trying to understand where xsi backup NAS comes into play and why. How is it better than just using a NFS share for example to the same NAS?
And can it be used by different esxi hosts? (as in different versions, eg, 5 and 6 )

Thank you,

#2 2021-03-08 08:35:58

admin
Administrator

Re: Why dedicated NAS xsi backup server?

We distribute two different versions of NAS appliances:

1 - An older one implementing a FUSE real time inline deduplicated File System based on LessFS by Mark Ruijter on CentOS 5 that we named XSINAS, which is still a great option for a standalone file server.

2 - A newer one called XSIBackup-NAS, built on CentOS 7 that incorporates an nCurses GUI, which is a great asset to rapidly deploy a home lab or even production resources in a matter of minutes.

If you already have some dedicated hardware XSIBackup-NAS might not be of interest to you, still it is a prebuilt compatible environment that you can start with. It can help you save valuable time and can also serve as an intermediate layer to standarize your deployments.

It also incorporates XSIFS and offers a way to access files in any XSIBackup-DC restore point in a deduplicated repository.

#3 2021-03-08 11:45:46

mvfid

Thank you for your reply.
I didn't know about those options; I was reading up on this article: Running (c)XSIBackup-DC as a server in (c)Synology NAS (which btw says it's part 1 but I didn't find a link to part 2).

So my questions are in the context of this linked article.
Thank you.

#4 2021-03-12 11:46:03

mvfid

I guess I am replying to my own question. Reading some posts I found post #2 on this topic to actually answer my dilemma.
XSIBackup Server Client

#5 2021-04-21 15:48:00

admin
Administrator

You are right. There should have been a second part, Synology decided to take a turn and make its DSM system more closed and propietary than it already was before by limiting access to other users than root through SSH. Thus we just placed a warning around that issue and renounced to delve more into easing integration with Synology. Still, many of our users and we ourselves use Synology DSM as a backend.

Board footer