©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-14 16:53:59

benjamin

Snapshot error - MBR-GPT - Win server 2008

Hello,

I am posting in free forum as I think it do not do any difference between free / pro looking to this problem but I am using pro version.

Until now I was backing up my machines with no any main problem expect fact that my win servers 2008-R2 were MBR so I get following information :

---------------------------------------------
017-08-13T09:00:25|  Snapshot & Quiescing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017-08-13T09:00:25|  [SVR2008-R2] info: the VM cannot be quiesced, change MBR to GPT or apply workaround...
2017-08-13T09:00:26|  [SVR2008-R2] info: snapshot taken, quiescing status: NO (guest OS incompatibility)

I have then changed my servers 2008-R2 from MBR to GPT/UEFI, then got following error message from now :

"error CLCRESN1: cannot create snapshot, details: Create Snapshot:
Create snapshot failed"

This is quite troublesome as until now backup was going smoothly even if no quiescing on server 2008.
Also after looking at my V-Center events I see the following error when snapshot fail :

Error code 5
Error message : 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8454 (0x80042306)

It looks like the Vss Snapshot fail on guests servers.
I have searched for any workaround, without solution.

Obviously the parameter "--snapshot=dontquiesce" allow to make backup.
But I have now to add some additional commands in cron file to make snapshots quiescing on other machines.

Daniel are you aware of this problem ?
Perhaps if this problem is always occurring on server 2008 you can also check for Guest info "windows7Server64Guest" to do not make quiescing too ?

Anyway I want to thank you for you product and good job (I was using GhettoVCB previously) !

Regards,
Benjamin

#2 2017-08-15 23:26:45

admin
Administrator

Re: Snapshot error - MBR-GPT - Win server 2008

Snapshotting problems are relatively frequent, in fact they are the most frequent source of errors in ESXi.

As you had an MBR boot record before, XSIBackup would automatically avoid quiescing, so you probably had that problem with the VSS service sitting there until you switched to GPT and it had the chance to become known.

Quiescing does work with GPT, it's not a general error, but something having to do with that VM's configuration.
A quick search returns:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro … Id=1018194

It's not the exact same error code (#8449), but it offers some hints

There aren't any agents installed by XSIBackup, so check for space usage and verify the VSS service and any dependant auxiliary service is installed, running and healthy.

UPDATE:

A more precise search returned this.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/401786

This will probably solve your problem.

Board footer