#1 2019-10-22 14:56:58

Greg007

The CRON drives me crazy

Dear all, please help.
My system is
ESXi version:
ESXi build number:

(c) XSIBACKUP-FREE 11.2.8

If I start things manually then it works perfectly, but if I put task in a crontab it will not start. It just dies silently.

The cron was installed accordingly the docs.
The cron jobs are being executed, I can see it in /var/log/syslog.log
Test script behaved from under the cron as expected.
{INSTALLDIR}/var/logs/xsibackup.log is empty.
All permissions were double checked.

Here is the ouput of  ./xsibackup --update-cron:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|                        Rsyslog is not available in XSIBACKUP-FREE                        |
|                          Get XSIBACKUP-PRO at https://33hops.com                          |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The root user crontab has been succesfully updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the current content of the root crontab
#min hour day mon dow command
1    1    *   *   *   /sbin/tmpwatch.py
1    *    *   *   *   /sbin/auto-backup.sh
0    *    *   *   *   /usr/lib/vmware/vmksummary/log-heartbeat.py
*/5  *    *   *   *   /bin/hostd-probe.sh ++group=host/vim/vmvisor/hostd-probe/stats/sh
00   1    *   *   *   localcli storage core device purge
34 14 * * * /root/xsi/xsibackup --backup-type=all --snapshot=doquiesce --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/DATA1TB/backups/daily # Added by XSIBackup
Current number of crond instances is 1, service seems to be running O.K.
Killed
[root@esx:/root/xsi]

Please suggest what could be checked additionally?

Last edited by Greg007 (2019-10-22 15:00:04)

#2 2019-10-24 17:00:12

admin
Administrator

Re: The CRON drives me crazy

What is this?

/root/xsi/xsibackup

ESXi does not even have a /root directory

And this is not correct:

34 14 * * * /root/xsi/xsibackup --backup-type=all --snapshot=doquiesce --backup-point=/vmfs/volumes/DATA1TB/backups/daily # Added by XSIBackup

You can't use the --snapshot=doquiesce with --backup-type=all, cause you don't know on advance whether it will be possible to quiesce all your VMs.

Install XSIBackup to a persistent path and change this to point to the main xsibackup file.

Board footer