©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-12 20:47:32

chc-pr

Missing cron file & will a move to xsibackup-pro require a new install

I have tried to install xsibackup for the first time, but I do not have any cron file. It was a while ago I installed it and I cannot recall what I did now, so it is possible that I removed the file myself. Can I just delete the directory created to fully remove xsibackup and try again or is there anything special/else I need to do to fully remove it? Is there a crontab entry I need to edit/remove?

I tried crontab -e, but that crashed out ...

I really like the stuff I have read/seen on youtube, especially the pro version's Diff backups ... so once I have had a play and confirmed what I have read, I plan to move to the pro version, which brings up a related Q. Will that require a new download?

Any help much appreciated.

#2 2017-07-13 10:33:55

roberto

Re: Missing cron file & will a move to xsibackup-pro require a new install

Everything is much more simple than that.

- Esxi is not Linux, so forget about any preconceived idea, like crontab -e
- XSIBackup install does not generate the cronfile, you have to create it manually by just executing this: ./xsibackup --install-cron
- You are answering yourself, there's a detailed Youtube tutorial that explains how to install the crontab step by step.

Youtube video

- Apart from that, everything that you need to know is in the man page:

(c)XSIBackup Classic man page

Last edited by roberto (2017-07-13 10:35:07)

#3 2017-07-13 13:14:34

chc-pr

Re: Missing cron file & will a move to xsibackup-pro require a new install

Thank you for your replies, but I did run --install-cron.

It was killed saying it did not have the requisite switches set - which is what is throwing me because if I understood the guides correctly the --install-cron instruction should generate a default set of cron tasks which can be amended/edited.

I am not getting those ... or at least I am not seeing them. I am confused, which is why I am thinking of starting again. When I first looked at this before I got distracted by another task, I was really very early on in my understanding of ESXI. I am still no expert by any stretch, but I am a lot better able to understand what is happening now than before so I am wondering if I messed something up before and if it would be better to just start again.

As for the (c)XSIBackup Classic man page - that is timing out for me with a bad gateway error (Just tried again .... Error 502 Ray ID: 37dc80084a626a07 • 2017-07-13 13:13:32 UTC
Bad gateway) ... hence the original post ...

Last edited by chc-pr (2017-07-13 13:14:55)

Board footer