#1 2019-02-27 22:58:26

ktdt00

Recovery Points

Sorry guys but I've spent a couple hours pawing through documentation, watching videos, reading posts, testing, etc.

I am new but have gotten XSIBackup installed, configured, running backups, cron working, etc. so I guess I'm "functional" with my testing thus far. But here's my question:

I currently use free Nakivo, installed as an appliance to my free ESXi host. I have one weekly backup job configured that backs up two VM's to a 500GB local repository using hot-add, change block tracking and 3 recovery points. The first backup took several hours but all subsequent weekly backups take about 15 minutes and 3 recovery points are always maintained. I have now added a couple of new VM's to my host but Nakivo's free limit is two VM's so I'm looking for an alternative...

I just cannot figure out how to duplicate the same backup strategy/configuration with XSIBackup that I have above?

I would really appreciate any pointers on how I configure my job(s) and cron to accomplish this?

Thanks for your consideration and assistance!

/KTDT00

Last edited by ktdt00 (2019-02-27 23:20:50)

#2 2019-03-02 16:38:48

admin
Administrator

Re: Recovery Points

XSIBackup free has no limits at all, on top of that it should be much faster than your Nakivo described scenario. The only caveat is that XSIBackup-Free will allow you to:

1 - Perform full backups with Vmkfstools (--backup-prog=Vmkfstools). No recovery points.
2 - Perform differential backups with Onediff. Similar to CBT but no recovery points, al backups are consolidated to the destination VM.
3 - Use XSItools, it's differential with recovery points, but you have no restore module, it's a Pro feature.

Your best bet would be using Onediff combined with XSINAS, our free deduplication appliance. That way you could take advantage of OneDiff feature along with the compression offered by deduplication, still no differential feature.

#3 2019-03-02 18:18:34

ktdt00

Re: Recovery Points

I really appreciate the response. It aligns pretty closely to the understanding I gathered from my testing. I suspect my desirements are "Pro" but my budget is "Free" smile  You probably get that a lot... Great product and documentation by the way! I'm off to play with XSINAS now smile

Board footer