©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-05 20:16:01

garyc

Cron back not running on folder change

I am using the following crontab entry to run my backups and it works perfectly when I initially create the repo.  The command should change the folder every week but at the start of a new week the new repo is not created and the cron command does not run.  There is no entry for it in the log file.

This is the command:

"/vmfs/volumes/SamsungSSD/xsi-dir/xsibackup" --time="Mon 01:05|Tue 01:05|Wed 01:05|Thu 01:05|Fri 01:05|Sat 01:05|Sun 01:05" backupId=00 --backup-room=100 --backup-point="/vmfs/volumes/ExchangeQnapBkUp/backups/DomainController/$(date +%Y%U)" --mail-to=xxx@xxx.xxx.xx --use-smtp=1 --backup-how=hot --backup-type=custom --backup-vms=DomainController --backup-prog=xsitools:z --on-success="backupid->01" --on-failure="backupid->01"

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?  I would like it to make a new repo every week.

Last edited by garyc (2017-06-05 20:16:40)

#2 2017-06-06 15:27:36

Daniel

Re: Cron back not running on folder change

I don't see any errors. Have you tried this same backup job in the command line, manually?. If it works by manual execution, it must work too from the crontab, just as long as you have sufficient space and proper permissions.

I deduce from your text that you might have a different problem than you think. If the cron command does not run, then obviously the new folder can't be created, so you should check why the cron is not getting triggered. Any attempt to execute your job will render some output, even if the new folder isn't created in the end.

Last edited by Daniel (2017-06-06 15:28:40)

#3 2017-06-06 19:55:27

garyc

The command works fine when run from the command line and will create the required folders and repos but it appears as if the cron does not run whenever it needs to create a new folder.

Is this possible?

#4 2017-06-07 14:28:43

Daniel

No, it's not. The create folder command is way into the script, so before it reaches that point it still has to execute many lines of code. I mean, the script doesn't know whether it has to create a new folder or not until it has reached that point. Your appreciation has a heavy load of subjectivity.

If your cron service is not working, then that might just be the matter. ESXi is a great piece of software, but some aspects of its functioning are far from being perfect. The cron service is the one bundled with busybox and it lacks any higher level management mechanism. It is picky and tends to just hung if you execute it twice or play around with it.

Read this:

How to use the (c)ESXi crontab

Last edited by Daniel (2017-06-07 14:29:20)

Board footer