©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-25 20:38:20

herrep

XSIBackup-DC 1.5.1.1: VM mismatch --replica=cbt / new backup location

Hi,

After having enabled CBT for a VM and performed the first full replication, I realized that the backup location was wrong. Therefore, I manually unregistered and deleted the resulting _XSIREP VM and performed --reset-cbt followed by an --enable-cbt for this CBT to start over again at the new backup location. Furthermore, I already run the suggested commands to overcome registration issues:

/etc/init.d/hostd restart
/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

While the CBT replication seems to work fine for other VMs where I did not had this issue with a wrong backup location in the first place, VmWare still has stored some information concerning the ctk enabled disks so that the new set up replication with option --replication=cbt and --options=R failed. The error log shows:

2021-09-25T20:15:04 | Error code 1168 at file esxi.c, line 1168 | Error description: can't remove all snapshots for VM -1
2021-09-25T20:15:04 | Error code 3540 at file xsibackup.c, line 3540 | Error description: can't remove all snapshots for VM <myvm>
2021-09-25T20:15:05 | Error code 3574 at file xsibackup.c, line 3574 | Error description: could not unregister VM(101) <myvm>_XSIREP, error: 

However, I found out that --reset-cbt is not sufficient. It is required to manually disable CBT in the VM, i.e. ctkenable to false for both the general settings as well as for the respective disk. I did this with a powered off VM and without snapshots.  Then I could start over again without issues.

Would it be possible to integrate the disabling of ctk also into --reset-cbt?

Best regards,
Peter

Last edited by herrep (2021-09-25 22:37:49)

#2 2021-09-26 11:41:27

admin
Administrator

Re: XSIBackup-DC 1.5.1.1: VM mismatch --replica=cbt / new backup location

In these cases you just need to run --reset-cbt, no need for --enable-cbt, in fact both arguments produce the exact same result.
You just need to delete the .xsi dir in the source VM folder. Some further integration, as you suggest, would be to allow --reset-cbt to do that for you, still we decided to keep that folder as it contains some vital information on what was done before, maybe renaming it would be the simplest and wisest thing to do.

CBT feature is new, it was introduced this summer. We still have to produce some posts on some of the situations you may run into, like the one you describe.

Thank you for your feedback.

Board footer